daleskydive

controlines too short on katana 120

I have purchased a katana 120 with vectran 500 lines. 300 jumps on lineset and have made sure that there are no twists in control lines. I did aprox 450 degree front riser turn and at about the 320 mark the canopy bucked only once so on the next jump I looked up during the front riser turn and noticed that I had tail deflection from insufficiant control line length. Has anyone else had this problem. The control line length has not been shortened as far as I know. I will email PD for trim specs and advice.On my xfire I could pull the fronts all the way down without brakes being too short but have noticed PD dont leave anywhere near as much slack.Katana was attatched to 24" risers but temporarily have it on 21" but that should make no differance as from top of riser to brake setting are the same on all risers,of same make, right? Any imput appriciated.

The control line length has not been shortened as far as I know

Vectran shouldn't shrink that much in 300 jumps, but the lower control lines are microline yes? 300 jumps sounds like a good time to replace the lower control lines anyway. It may not even have been 300 jumps but more (2nd hand canopy, it happens...) and/or the previous owner might not have cared that the canopy couldn't go 360 on risers.

Almost every canopy I ever bought 2nd hand had too short steering lines...

Anyway, your rigger should have the line specs, you probably just need to lengthen the lower control lines a bit. If the canopy is out of trim, maybe the middle part too but still, it's not an expensive fix.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Vectran shouldn't shrink that much in 300 jumps, but the lower control lines are microline yes?

Not on a standard Katana lineset. They are Vectran too.

To the OP - no, not had that problem in mine (with an HMA lineset).

If you're of sufficient experience to jump a KA120, then you should also know how to tell when your control lines are too short and be able to do something about it.

No need to call or email PD for the trim specs, they're right on the their website. Here's the Katana's

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/KA-083-0170LineTrimChart.pdf

Measure the lines off of that.

As for the riser issue, someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but different riser lengths will not change how much you can pull the FR without deflecting the tail.

Thanks, yes I am doing something about it and thats why Im getting the trim specs and was just curious if anyone else has had the problem with vectran lines. Being such a stable line I was surprised. Maybe PD put the wrong control lines on. Anyway I will check the specs and fix it.