raymod2

Vigil 2 activation during swoop landing

yep. looks like the unit functioned as designed. Time to make some decisions about your AAD choices? Perhaps they will address this at a later time, but right now Vigil's just not the best choice for the big turn swoopers.

But. you're so close to breaking 90 mph... that's just 6 miles below the firing speed of Speed Cypres. Mile-Hi elevation helps achieve these higher speeds, so not unreasonable to think that you and others may be breaking the 96 mph firing speed of Cypres Speed soon enough. Something to keep in mind.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

But. you're so close to breaking 90 mph... that's just 6 miles below the firing speed of Speed Cypres. Mile-Hi elevation helps achieve these higher speeds, so not unreasonable to think that you and others may be breaking the 96 mph firing speed of Cypres Speed soon enough. Something to keep in mind.

Very true. Although, to be fair that last 6 mph is going to be REALLY hard to achieve.

I suspect the next generation of parachutes will pave the way for that though :)
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

REALLY hard

that's what she said last night too!

But yeah, it will be progressively harder to achieve each additional mph, but i dont think it will be impossible.

I mean they said it was impossible to bring sexy back... Then GW came on the scene and the rest is history.

P.S. what's this talk about the "next generation of parachutes"? You got some inside info?

P.S. what's this talk about the "next generation of parachutes"? You got some inside info?

Ha! I wish! My comment is just that the industry is always working on getting better/faster - so eventually we'll have wings that are far superior to what we have today (hopefully in my skydiving career!!)

:)
Performance Designs Factory Team

Is ANY AAD really friendly for us at this point?

The Argus has a swoop mode, which will inhibit firing of the cutter once deployment has been detected.

this is copied from the Australian forum, if an Argus turns itself off once it detects a canopy would this have possibly ended in a no-pull fatality ??(skysurfer.com.au)

Shit can happen to you on any jump!

On my 3 jump of the day of the 15/05/09 I was doing a pop and hop from 2000ft, I had a malfunction (violent line over on a 104 crossfire1) the next thing I know I'm in the back of ambulance on my way to hospital with a fractured skull.

According to the people who saw what happened I did a 3-5 second delay off of the door. Malfunction (4) canopy rotations, cutaway recovered stability within (2) seconds. Back in freefall for (5)- (7) seconds prior to AAD fire.

I have no recall of the jump. So from that day I thank god I had an ADD fitted and on, or I would not be here to tell you guys this.

Hope this helps you think about it.

It can happen to anybody at anytime on any jump!!!!

...remember to take it easy.....and if its easy take it home..

the Vigil reached its trigger speed of 35 m/s at 450 feet, and then fired at 354 feet - which at 35 m/s would be 1 second later. That would seem to contradict their stated firing time of 2 milliseconds.

The unit won't fire straight away when the measured speed reaches the threshold.
It wait until the 'filtered' speed gets too high. This is to prevent a glitch in measurement from triggering a firing (you can see the red line in the graph published above is pretty noisy).

I think that the future of wings will be with more rigid materials and sewing techniques. I feel that the more rigid a wing is the better performance it will maintain. I think that maybe an inflatable spar of some sort might make sense, or even more cross bracing. This of course would have an adverse affect on pack volume.

The thing I do find interesting is that the current generations of canopies keep doing amazing things. To me this indicates that the pilot is catching up with the wing technology, and that there is not a true limit to swooping because of the wing design at this point.

You really need to think about it from a designers point of view. I am sure they could make a new and better wing but it would be totally specialized for one thing. The velo is a great canopy for swooping, but it also is used quite a bit by the general skydiving populous for everyday jumping. Therefore it needs to have some good characteristics for the other 95% of flight such as opening, glide, and slow flight. Also, I am sure the velo costs PD the most to manufacture, design, test, and promote, even though it is probably one of their products that sells the least. The Return on Investment for that canopy is probably the smallest compared to the rest of their product line.

Yall have a good one, and please be carefull out there!

I am sure the velo costs PD the most to manufacture, design, test, and promote, even though it is probably one of their products that sells the least. The Return on Investment for that canopy is probably the smallest compared to the rest of their product line.

When a Velo kicks ass at a DZ, PD will sell more sabres and katanas, When a JVX or VX kicks ass Icarus will sell more crossfires and safires.

It all comes back in the end.

I think that the future of wings will be with more rigid materials and sewing techniques. I feel that the more rigid a wing is the better performance it will maintain.

Still jumping and all sail JVX?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix