Pulse

This is ridiculous...but here it goes.

I had a debate with an instructor at our dz who is thinking that a 'dead man' style landing might be a good thing for students. He's not talking about a speed building turn or anything. Simply dragging the feet behind them and then 'popping up' for touchdown.

I have any number of reasons as to why this is dumb. Along with considering the source. Since this instructor has never really shown great knowledge in how parachutes fly. The idea is ridiculous. But in the hopes of being surprised I'm wondering if anyone can provide any reason this might be acceptable.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Simply dragging the feet behind them and then 'popping up' for touchdown.

Its a really bad idea. Its perfect for face plant or breaking your tail bone.

There is a lot better method described in Brian Germain's book.
Legs in front of each other, bended ready to take impact or run. Back leg is under you spine and provide some protection.
The front leg is just like a nose gear, the rear leg is just like the main landing gear of an aircraft.

1. Tell him to grab a student rig, and prove that it can be done ten times out of ten.

2. Then shove the student rig up his ass, and tell him to keep his 'bright' ideas to himself.

3. If you choose to skip step two, go straight to the DZO/manager/senior instructor, and make sure they know what sort of nutbag they have on their staff, and what sort of things he's considering telling their students.

How much 'Pop' has anyone ever seen a student get with a student canopy?

Fucking brilliant:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

... an instructor at our dz who is thinking that a 'dead man' style landing might be a good thing for students....

Instead, he should probably think about getting off crack.

I cant imagine this was a serious discussion between the two of you, but if it was, do ask him to demonstrate the technique personally. And have a camera handy. :)

I have to disagree with all who oppose this maneuver. Although the deadman would not be my first choice, the instructor has the right idea.

My other choices may be a switchblade. This way the student has one hand free for other purposes. Perhaps a blindman so that when something go wrong, the student has a better chance of not scraping their face up since they might roll on their backside. A ghostrider gives them both their hands free, twice as good as a switchblade.

Whatever move you choose to tell your student to do, make sure you emphasis is on doing it over water cause water is always soft.