47plymouth

fast landing

Are canopies "supposed" to pop up when flaring hard? No matter how hard I flare my canopy it never does this. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Edit to add, 230 @ around 1:1 WL.

Weather or not a canopy has enough lift during a flare depends on many things. In your case I would suggest that at your wing loading and canopy size are factors to consider. A canopy can do an excellent job without the ability to pop up when flaring. It wasn't until I switched from my Triathalon to my Sabre2 @1.3 that I was able to "pop up", however my Tri consistantly landed me safely in varying wind conditions.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Are canopies "supposed" to pop up when flaring hard? No matter how hard I flare my canopy it never does this. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Edit to add, 230 @ around 1:1 WL.

Besides the planform and overall build of your canopy and other factors, the perceived amount of flare a canopy has is related to how much speed you have. The more speed your wing has, the more lift it will generate (aerodynamics 101).

Note that technically your canopy will always "flare" the same way but the perceived effects will be different because of wind and other variability.

If you are coming in hot under a zippy small elliptical, the speed will give you a noticeable "popup" when flaring...whereas a much larger and slower flying f111 7-cell (for example) might not result in such a popup.

the idea of flaring is about managing the amount of lift you have available to you.

regarding your question:

the short answer is it depends.

talk to your instructors about this around the bonfire!