Mikko

Logging and analyzing swoop turns?

Does anyone know any device such as a gps/altitude logger in a reasonable price range that could be used for analyzing different kind of turns for swooping?

Altitude loss, speed, position etc.?

Most of the gps/altitude loggers seem to be inaccurate for this purpose because they are only logging once per second.

I looked into it a bit. I tried it with a Wintec WBT-201. At the time it was a hot item in the wingsuit community. It allowed logging at 1Hz which was apparently fast for loggers at the time, may 07. It was kind of fun, you could see your track and even overlay it onto good earth.

I found 1Hz to not be fast enough to really get a useful map of your hook turn. Even the biggest competition turns are only 10-11secs from initiation to 0agl. I wanted more fidelity.

The technology may have progressed since then so you might be able to get more data points. The wingsuit guys are ontop of that stuff, i would check with them. Either way it makes for some fun tinkering.

adam

I've used the foretrex logger and found the info to be interesting but kind of useless. To better analyze your swoop get tons of video and start timing everything out: double fronts, turn time, roll out, actual swoop time. For example, my best swoops have 4 seconds of double fronts, 7-8 second turn, 2.5 second roll-out (this varies with which canopy i'm flying and WLing). Once you have a good base then when you try different things you'll know what works and what doesn't (change one thing at a time to see what changes what)

I've also used a data logger from cypres which was really interesting. Logged 85mph at 300' under a Velocity 90 @ 2.3 WLing, but I didn't get to keep it long enough to really analyze everything.

hope that helps...stu
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

The data logger from Cypress is awesome. It reminds me of how dead I would be without a Speed cypress. Jumped it last year when I started my 450's. I did 4 jumps doing 2 types of turns each time and if I would have had a normal Cypress it would have fired all 4 times. SPOOKY!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

The data logger from Cypress is awesome. It reminds me of how dead I would be without a Speed cypress. Jumped it last year when I started my 450's. I did 4 jumps doing 2 types of turns each time and if I would have had a normal Cypress it would have fired all 4 times. SPOOKY!

May I ask you how do you know if an expert cypres would have fired ?

After jumping the cypress, I landed and had a representative from Airtek plug it in to his computer where it showed my altitudes as well as my speeds at those altitudes. It had a graph that showed my flight path and noted the activation speed at the exact altitude of the Cypress firing. I exceeded the maximum speed at 750 ft going well over 78 mph each time.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

After jumping the cypress, I landed and had a representative from Airtek plug it in to his computer where it showed my altitudes as well as my speeds at those altitudes. It had a graph that showed my flight path and noted the activation speed at the exact altitude of the Cypress firing. I exceeded the maximum speed at 750 ft going well over 78 mph each time.

Ok. The reason why I was wondering was that it was said on the airtec website that :

""Even when reaching 78 mph for a moment, the Expert CYPRES would not activate. The reason is that CYPRES does much more than trigger based on measured descent rate and altitude, as it analyses the situation the skydiver is in"
"

I understand the speed should exeed 78 and also maintain past 78 for a certain amount of time before it will fire (between 750 and 130), but I have no idea how long this time is. Would be interesting to know though.. I guess airtec doesnt give that info in public ?

But im sure if an airtec representative said it would have fired then it was so.