rhys

When do/will you change your 350/300lb HMA lineset?

I would be interested to know how long you guys are using these lines for?

My current set has around 200 jumps, have blue UV protection coating, they still look good and I interned on using them for another 100 jumps.

I'm just interested on what you guys have been doing and what you will be doing in light of the recent recommendations made by performance designs.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

For those who vote, if Rhys doesn't mind the extra input, please post how long you've been jumping 300 HMA. No need to indicate how you voted.

As for me: I jumped Mel's HMA from around mid 2005 until late 2006. Soon as PD made their line available, I switched to the manufacturer line and have jumped that since.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I've been using Daedalus lines,non coated, (1st set came off last week,) since may 2007, a little ragged on the 4 "corner"outside lines. otherwise they looked good. I changed my 1000lb brake line at 300 jumps... 15% rds usage. mostly terminal.

<<<< >>>>

I've been using Daedalus lines,non coated, (1st set came off last week,) since may 2007, a little ragged on the 4 "corner"outside lines. otherwise they looked good. I changed my 1000lb brake line at 300 jumps... 15% rds usage. mostly terminal.

What was the total jumps before you removed them?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Early 2006 I went from Vectran to 500 HMA on my Velocities. Early 07 I switched to PD's 300 HMA when they began offering it for competition use.
95% of my jumps are subtermanial. I will probably switch back to 500 HMA if I ever find a love for freefall again.
Watch out for planters.

I have been jumping HMA 300 since 2001, about 5000 jumps worth. I reline at about 200 jumps OR LESS. I have broken at least 20 lines over the years with 11 of them breaking during one opening. the more damage they take the sooner they need replacing. Water, sand, dust, dirty hands, dirty packing area, UV, differing types of slider grommets, it all contributes.

The game is simple, if your going to race... you put new tires on your ride every time. Only a fool would put old tires on a race car and expect them to last the distance.

If you are not competing you really don't need to be using the smallest lines. Unless of course you don't mind relining your gear every 180 jumps or so...
Fly-Free...

I have been jumping HMA 300 since 2001, about 5000 jumps worth. I reline at about 200 jumps OR LESS. I have broken at least 20 lines over the years with 11 of them breaking during one opening. the more damage they take the sooner they need replacing. Water, sand, dust, dirty hands, dirty packing area, UV, differing types of slider grommets, it all contributes.

do you or have you used UV coated lines? and if so doi you find they were less prone to wear?

I have been jumping HMA 300 since 2001, .......

Jay,
We had the very first Technora 350 braided in late 2003.

The first every to have it were Joe Bennett, Hans, Dave Hebert, and Chuck Blue. In pretty much that order.

PD did not start using it until late 2005 I believe. At least it was in that ballpark, time-table wise.

I have broken at least 20 lines over the years with 11 of them breaking during one opening

Jay,
With 11 lines breaking at the same time gives me the impression that you had a tension knot.

First, 11 lines are almost 75% of the total number of A & C lines that you have on a Velo. (16)
The opening would have to be almost perfectly executed to load that many lines at the exact same time and with enough force to break them all.

The content of this thread has been about education and use of 350lb Technora.

This is part of it.
A simple prevention tool is not to make large stows and use a small rubber band with one wrap.

the more damage they take the sooner they need replacing. Water, sand, dust, dirty hands, dirty packing area, UV, differing types of slider grommets, it all contributes.

The game is simple, if your going to race... you put new tires on your ride every time. Only a fool would put old tires on a race car and expect them to last the distance.

Exactly!
Changing them every 5 laps is not the answer either!
You just need to know when to change them.
We can do this by educating the people using them with proper use and inspection methods.
With that said, the information should be as true as possible. i.e. tensile strength.
I am looking at the material PD uses and it's tensile strength.

We need to compare apples to apples here.

If you are not competing you really don't need to be using the smallest lines. Unless of course you don't mind relining your gear every 180 jumps or so...

This is where I really differ.
With that mind set, if they are not competing, they probably do not need a Velo either.

The truth of the matter is this. I have several video people that use 350 lb stuff for better openings, the ability to get back from a long spot because of better penetration, and lastly because they have better landings.

These are also the same people that take really good care of their equipment on a general basis.

Their line-life is usually a lot longer than compared to a Swooper's canopy.

Being sponsored helps in the blanket decision of changing them @ X number of jumps.

Never use a blanket number as people tend to think that they do not need to inspect the lines until around that time.
The lines could be damaged on jump #1, so daily inspection is needed.

Again, education is key here.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

you have listed different lines in the poll so people need to be careful looking at the results....

when made this poll I was under the impression that it depended on where you get the line, as to what rating it is considered to have. Meaning PD says it is 300 and mel says it is 350 both for the dame lines, we have learned these are different lines but at the end of the day they are very similar in strength especially if you add the 7 cell vs 9 cell factor and also the RDS vs stock slider factor.....

both categories belong in this discussion.

Jay, thanks for your input. Out of everyone here, I believe you have the most hand's on experience with these lines.

Out of all of us here, the PDFT, probably has the most experience under 300 hma linesets. I think your real-life experience speaks well, and I would caution jumpers to heed your advice.

As for your thoughts on ultra-thin lines - I agree - if you're not competing there's no need for them and the added risk, and gear maintenence, is simply not worth it.

FWIW, I replace mine every 100-120 jumps.

Peace.
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I saw a Velo that had snapped 6 lines on deployment yesterday, the opening was soft and the places seemed random where the lines had snapped, not on the end of the fingertrapps.

the lines had around 300 jumps on them and were the first set from the factory.