flyingfrog

Neos openings

sorry for cross posting, but it looks like no one can respond to my post
on the Gear and Rigging Forum, therefore I do hope some of you canopy experts
can give me your opinion:

org. post:
I am wondering about other peoples experience with the Icarus Neos openings....
when I jump from high alti the "very huge" standard slider always stops half way down,
and gives me a hard time getting this thing down and stowed.
When doing low alti jumps I haven't noticed this slider issue, however, my openings also takes for ever and slider stays on top for a very, very long time....
Is this just normal with the Neos, and I have to live with, or can something be done about?
e.g. pack differently (currently normal pro-packing)
Also thinking of getting an removable slider (would this solve the prob ?)
Any thoughts from you experts are much appreciated
Thanks

a little bit off topic:

There is one girl at our DZ, who jumps NEOS 89, once her velcro strap with whech she stows her slier to her container's reserve flap didn't work properly, so she had to land with the unstowed slider... it was quite a scene! Very small canopy, tiny girl under it, and a HUGE slider flapping above her head:))))))

She takes her NEOS both to terminals and to hop&pops and, as far as I know, she doesn't have any problems with long openings...

Once I tried Cobalt Comp and that thing had a big slider, which was reluctant to come down all the way, what I did to fix the problem was simply to squeeze both rear risers towards the middle after canopy inflated. That usually helps to bring down the slider fast;)

I only have a handful of jumps on a neos 89, but I didn't have that issue. What type of nose treatment are you using? I did nothing to the nose. I found the the initial snatch force was higher than that of a modern PD canopy, and it stood me up quicker, but it still opened nice and soft.

A second thing is...the removeable slider will probably not help the issue. What I've found with my velocity is that the removeable slider actually slows the opening and lets the slider hang up a bit more.

Something that could be contributing is the fact that the Neos is a fast little canopy and is combined with (in my experience) a pretty steep glide. Therefore, the relative wind could be contributing to holding that slider up there. Go into real deep brakes and hold them for a bit and see if she won't come down.

Cheers,
Travis

What type of nose treatment are you using? I did nothing to the nose.

so do I...

About the removable slider - I thought if I could get it a bit smaller then the org. one this might would help...
Need to check with my rigger once he is back.

Thanks for your reply
Frank

sorry for cross posting, but it looks like no one can respond to my post
on the Gear and Rigging Forum, therefore I do hope some of you canopy experts
can give me your opinion:

org. post:
I am wondering about other peoples experience with the Icarus Neos openings....
when I jump from high alti the "very huge" standard slider always stops half way down,
and gives me a hard time getting this thing down and stowed.
When doing low alti jumps I haven't noticed this slider issue, however, my openings also takes for ever and slider stays on top for a very, very long time....
Is this just normal with the Neos, and I have to live with, or can something be done about?
e.g. pack differently (currently normal pro-packing)
Also thinking of getting an removable slider (would this solve the prob ?)
Any thoughts from you experts are much appreciated
Thanks

why not replace the slider with a smaller ones?

why not replace the slider with a smaller ones?

Well... a manufacture does have their reason why they have build a canopy as it is, therefore any changes has to be done with the necessary precautions...replacing the slider with a smaller one can maybe result in very hard openings etc.