morris

Wingloadings at the Mile-Hi Cup

Does anyone know what (velocity)wingloadings have been flown by the top competitors at the Mile-Hi Cup 2007?
(or any other competition with worldclass pilots this season)
I´d like to get an impression about the "very latest in optimum wingloading" (on velos)...

What do you think performs better (in the hands of a worldclass pilot), a (velo) 96 loaded at 2.4 or a (velo) 90 loaded at 2.56?

I can tell you that JayMo chose the 96 over the 79, Marat took his 96 over his 90, Scott Roberts took his 90 over his 84, i took my 90 over my 84. The bigger wings did better (in distance) at this altitude then the smaller ones. as always with a higher wingloading and/ or smaller wing the pilot will have to be on his/her game to get the same, or better, performance than a larger wing/ lighter wingloading. as far as "optimal wingloadings" that's more up to the pilot than the wing. hope that helps

edited to add: at a location other than 5000' MSL you'll probably see a different approach to what canopies are chosen
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

For distance, the larger wing at a similar wingload (with weights) will ALWAYS go farther. For speed, a heavilly loaded smaller wing will get you through the course faster. For accuracy, any wing that you can shut down in 240 feet on your feet is best. I don't even touch my rears for zone accuracy. Others just do their same, gargantuan turn and move their setup back.

For distance, the larger wing at a similar wingload (with weights) will ALWAYS go farther.

As I know... but that was not the question, question was: Would the 96 at 2.4 or the 90 at 2.56 go further?
I don´t use my rears for accurcy as well...

In no wind I'd choose the 96.
In a downwind I'd choose the 96.
In a headwind below 5mph I'd choose the 96.
In a headwind above 7 mph I'd choose the 90.

All assuming distance in your scenario.

Personal preference of course.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

you dont have a 96 homo you have a 90 and 84

but your point still stands i just wanted to call you a homo.

for me i am losing faith in the downsize trend post weight restrictions. (in terms of distance)

i think there is too big and i think there is too small somewhere in the middle is a canopy that is big enough but still loaded enough to go further than the rest all else being equal.

i am yet to go further on my 79 than on my 92 but i suspect i will go further on my 87 than on the other two. i will let you know.

even in the stronger headwind i still go a little further on the 92 for some reason which seems to go against my apriori reasoning.