airborne82nd

Crossfire 2 - to what crossbraced???

Is there any crossbraced that would be considered a beginers crossbraced.

talking 120 range - 108 - loading 1.8.

minded that the crossfires open soft and have nice finishing power to the flare.

is the xaos 21 and 27 the most user friendly???

i understand the velocity and jvx is out to hard core what about the vx????

I know how crossbraced is super fast i respect that and know, just looking for the easy transitional canopy.

xaos 21 - or 27 or vx

or perhaps a neos??

i love the recent threads about everyones journy of canopy flght

amazing.

Hi,

I can't say about a Xaos as I've never jumped one but i wouldn't say a stock velocity is hard core? they open nice and are not too high aspect ratio.

I would suggest moving to a 7 cell (= not so hi aspect ratio) crossbrace like FX or velo and get a cheap (= 700 jumps+ second hand) one because you will want a different canopy(= 9 cell high aspect ratio) before long.Unless you are loaded that is?if you are loaded buy a new one and start a quiver.:D

I went from Crossfire to FX and then to JVX, I am very pleased with that progression. Had I got the JVX sooner I would have hindered my progress.

That is how it worked for me anyway.

;)

Have fun,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If you have 3,000 jumps, I'm sure Velocity openings are sweet. If you're closer to 1,000, they suck big time. Once open, they fly beautifully. ;)

Xaos 21, from all that I've heard of and seen, has the nicest openings.

Just to note, the Velocity (although like a 7-cell) is not a low aspect ratio canopy: it's 2.68-2.71 (depending on size), which is between a Stiletto and a Katana, and way above a typical 7-cell aspect ratio of 2.1-2.2 for reserves and crew canopies
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I wasn't referring to reserves or CRW canopies,

I was referring to high performance crossbraced canopies.

An FX, Velocity or a Xaos21 etc will have a lower aspect ratio than a VX, JVX, Xaos27 etc.

this is the type information I assumed the original poster was after?

Blues,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

hey man,

I recently wound up being given an FX 99 and found it to be an easy transition from my crossfire 119, still working on it, but it made sense to me....

That being said my crossfire is still my main canopy, the FX is really just for canopy specific jumps when I am hella current.

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

If you have 3,000 jumps, I'm sure Velocity openings are sweet. If you're closer to 1,000, they suck big time. Once open, they fly beautifully.

:|

So now canopies have a consciousness? How does a canopy know how many jumps you have?:D:D:D

:P

Agreed. I recently made the change to crossbraced, and the Velo was just too much for me to handle on anything other than a canopy piloting dive. Since most of my dives are AFF or wingsuit, I'd never do enough CP dives to be current on a velo. I settled for an FX 93 loaded a little over 2, (5000ft AMSL) and although it's very early days, I'm really enjoying it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I did some demos on a velo 103 and didnt hate the openings for the softness...only hated the openings for the canopy trying to eat itself on every opening (aka extreme searchiness)

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I think you would like the Neos. There is some info on here about them if you search. I personally think the Neos is a good first braced canopy and I'ld put good money that the openings will out perform any cross braced canopy out there.

Consider it when you are looking to demo.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I am no real advocate for Velocity openings as I have jumped one less than 10 times. The openings I had on them were fine and considering I had an old school large fiberglass top mount with all the heavy camera gear and shit on so the openings got a thumbs up from me.

I was jumping a heatwave that the time so in comparison anything would open nice i suppose.:|:D

yeah they are alriight if you dont look at them and keep your hands by your side and expect a slap with a ruler if you disobey...oh wait that was detention in schohol flash backs oh wait its about the same for a velo...

It was hella fun to fly I just am spoiled by my crossfire openings...

Dave

yep my xfire openings were the best too. onl one line twsit or so in 800 jumps and never a quick opening.
i'll see how my JVX perfomes in a couple of weeks.

yep my xfire openings were the best too. onl one line twsit or so in 800 jumps and never a quick opening.
i'll see how my JVX perfomes in a couple of weeks.

check out the "other" site for a recommendation from Mark S on packing - it works great for me so far, of course you gotta always be ready for anything....

rm