yardhippie

At what point did your swooping affect your AAD choices?

There is quite a bit of talk about this: people not using AADs in "swoop only' rigs, advanced swoopers going to "speed" configuration, and some not activating their AAD for swoop only days...

My question is at what point during your swoop progression did you consider what effect your dive has on your AAD?
What did you do about it?

I dont believe that the speeds I am reaching with my 270 turn is going to be close enough to fire my cypres, but as my protrack flatlines on almost every dive now. Im intrested to learn what others have done, when they did it, and why.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

When I started doing rotations greater than 360 degrees from above 1000 feet. There's no way you're going to fire that on a 270 under today's canopies - it does become more and more likely the more rotations you do though.

I believe Airtek's current recommendation for a regular cypress is up to a 360 below 1000 feet (ie not multiple revolutions).

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I do not have all the technical specifics memorized on the cypres, but I do have a good idea of it's firing parameters. I feel that the 450 turn will place me in or near the firing parameters of the regular cypres.

I also feel that people are losing focus on what the cypres's real job is. It is supposed to save you if you are unconscious or lose altitude awareness. The regular cypres has a firing speed around 78mph, and some people who cut away and went back into free fall exceeded that speed and got a cypres fire. Some wraps can exceed 78 mph so I'm sure there have been cypres fires in that situation. Now people believe that the cypres will save them if they cut away low or are in a nasty wrap. Not quite the case. You just need to realize what your equipment is designed for and it's operating envelopes. If you exceed those design parameters or operate in the firing envelopes then you may have a nasty surprise from your equipment doing what it was supposed to do. Canopies technology has changed since the inception of the cypres and it's programming. People are alos now taking their canopies into ranges of flight that were unfathomable even three years ago. This is a wonderfull time for canopy flight as people are flying these things 600+ feet. Airtech is just catching up to the present by offering th espeed cypres.