dzjmg

AAD?

I made more than 1,000 without AADs before Cypri were introduced in 1991.
As a poor professional skydiver, I have a Cypres in one rig and no AAD in my backup rig. My backup rig is a 1985 vintage Mirage and I have never been able to find written instructions for Cypres retro-fit, plus it would require a 2-pin Cypres and I am too cheap to buy a 2-pin Cypres.
So now I have to decide whether to update the Vector I gathering dust in the the corner or design myself a new rig that is compatible with a 1-pin Cypres.
Last year my boss loaned me a Cypres because he believes that instructors should lead by example.
About 90% of the rigs on our DZ have AADs.

I wear one because if some freeflyer comes out of nowhere and knocks me out when I am funneling a RW dive I want to be able to either give him a piece of my mind or extract my beer reward from him, depending on how bad my canopy gets trashed for being autopiloted into the new england forest...

I recently earned my A-license and am in the market for my first "used" rig.

I've seen some pretty good deals on rigs w/o a cypress.

I'm curious about how many of you jump with out one and why.

Thanks

I am not using one right now and I would not discourage you from jumping without one but if you have a choice choose yes.

My life partner went in with nothing out in an AAD equipped student rig recently.

AAD are backups, as has been stated repeatedly. THEY DON'T ALWAYS WORK AS PLANNED. Do not depend on the AAD.
namaste, motherfucker.