ernokaikkonen

Chemicals and parachute materials

Does anyone have comprehensive data on the effects of various chemicals on parachute materials? I'm especially interested in the possible effects of DEET(N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide, the main ingredient in many insect repellents). Various sources on the 'Net tell me that DEET does not damage nylon, which is nice, but not everything on parachutes is made of nylon.

From personal experience I know that DEET can melt some plastics(a Swatch melted on my wrist). Would DEET damage cut-away cables for example? Or hook-knives?

What about lines? I'd imagine the types that have been on the market longer will not be damaged(at least I haven't heard that they would be), but what about the newer additions to line materials? Vectran? HMA?

Erno

I doubt you are going to find definative data. In the 80's several skydiver chemists (including myself) and Dupont (at least they wouldn't say) couldn't determine the exact mechanism of the acid mesh degradation. I'm not going to give the whole history but treated mesh used to cover round parachute modifications was implicated in catastrophic degredation of adjacent fabric. It was more complicated than just acid mesh next to any fabric. One good thing about this was the introduction of fabric tensile testing clamps from ballooning to parachute rigging.

You must be soaking yourself in DEET to be to worried about it.:S Part of the problem in doing this kind of testing and acquiring the data is there is little driving need, no funding, and no one willing to undertake the work. Just tell your rigger to wash his hands before packing your reserve.

Here's a bibliography that came up in a search. http://ca.water.usgs.gov/pnsp/pyra/env_pro/trnfr_pro/sorp/resin.html Knock yourself out.;) I may try to find some papers on the chemical icompatibility of DEET. As we all know it can effect some surfaces and materials.

The Belgium army has done some very good testing, including physical damage. Maybe someone in Europe will have done more testing. Here's one reference I found that includes DEET.

MOISTURE VAPOR TRANSMISSION RATED OF SELECTED WATERPROOF/ BREATHABLE FABRICS: EFFECTS OF PERSPIRATION, STOVE FUEL, INSECT REPELLENT, AND REFURBISHMENT. R. Ernster. Design, Merchandising and Consumer Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523. Master's thesis completion 1996. B. Brandt, Advisor.

If you find something and want a chemist to translate to plane english let me know.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

From http://www.reillyind.com/our_products/deet1.htm

"CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed. Avoid contact with eyes and lips. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use on synthetic fibers. May damage some plastics, furniture or painted surfaces."

I wouldn't go applying it immediately before packing anything.....and keeping bottles of it in your rig bag is probably not a great idea, just to be on the safe side.

BTW it ate my Casio case too....>:(

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Maybe it is time to start collecting fabric and line samples and soaking them for a while in various interesting things. Beer has already thoroughly evaluated. As stated above, it is extremly unlikely that you will find the comprehensive database that you'd like.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have inquired to various manufactures in the past about chemical degradation of nylon. Sadly, there was no data about the affect on the calandered coatings on the parachute fabric. I'm suprised PIA hasn't done a study, it's really overdue.
I also recently made an inquiry to DuPont and 3M on the affect ScotchGuard would have on Solarmax nylon fabric. 3M says it would not be harmful and would not effect porosity. No response from DuPont.
It's a crapshoot. Do your own testing.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

You must be soaking yourself in DEET to be to worried about it

Seen the bugs in Scandanavia?! :-P

I'm worried about the cumulative effects. With skydiving, my biggest concern is sweat (I already take precautions against UV). However, my local A has a big mosquito problem and I smother myself in DEET. I should probably worry more about the cumulative effects on my body, but with a single parachute system I like to have a good shower before I pack.

MOISTURE VAPOR TRANSMISSION RATED OF SELECTED WATERPROOF/ BREATHABLE FABRICS: EFFECTS OF PERSPIRATION, STOVE FUEL, INSECT REPELLENT, AND REFURBISHMENT. R. Ernster. Design, Merchandising and Consumer Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523. Master's thesis completion 1996. B. Brandt, Advisor.

Will read when I'm a bit more sober

BSc. Chemistry :-S