katzurki

Change planform, decrease WL

I used to load a Hornet 170 at close to 1.4 since, um, jump #32:S because I didn't know any better. At present jump number I got a Vision 168, and simultaneously shed a fair lot of weight, so I will be loading it at exactly 1.2. Have not jumped it yet.

With these conditions in mind, what will change in the way the canopy handles? Obviously the greatest change will be the significantly longer recovery arc. What about wind penetration? Glide? The way it flares? What in your opinion is more dangerous, a Hornet 170 @ 1.4 or a Vision 168 @ 1.2?

What in your opinion is more dangerous, a Hornet 170 @ 1.4 or a Vision 168 @ 1.2?

Both are.

A couple of months ago there was a thread talking about what people do to learn a new canopy. Check that thread out, you'll see some dive flows to try to really start to learn you canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, here is a good example of what COULD happen. Not saying either way, good or bad idea on your part. I have not seen you fly your canopy, so I will not comment.

What I will say, is that it isn't how you fly the canopy when all is going as planned, its how you fly the canopy when it isn't. Although the size is the same between the 2 canopies, the Vision will react quicker in all areas, so the time you have to make the right decisions will be decreased. That is where experience helps you.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....