beergood

katana to velocity?

Currently jumping a Kat 107 at about 200 out the door. Am curious what size Velocity would be best suitable for my weight? I am just a weekend swooper so want what will have the best opening and flight characteristics for my size. On that note those of you who have put jumps on both how would you compare the opening characteristics as well as differences in dive and recovery characteristics.

mmmmmmm beer goood!!!!

i went from a vengeance 120 to a velo 96. it wasnt too much for me like i was concerned about. it actually was very comfortable downsize. i weigh 185 out the door. talking to other velo owners the 96 seems to be the "money" size. i know alot of folks who weight up so they can fly the 96. at their desired wl. the 96 also opens nicer than the the smaller ones. the slider doesnt hang up as long.
most canopy designs have a size thAT SEEMS TO PERFORM BETTER THAN other sizes at the same wl. ie, the velo 96, stiletto 107, vengeance 120, ext...
just my thoughts, whatever velo you choose, youve made a wise choice. i couldnt ask for a better canopy!

Hi.
What about the 111... Are there any disadvantages known
in comaprison to the 103 or 96, since these seem to be the money sizes?
Blue ones,
Patrice

I've never jumped a 111 so I dont know the specific quircks and characteristics, but you will have MORE lift for distance runs as with any larger wing, but there will also be MORE drag created by lines/canopy. Depending on where you would be loading it at it's probably not a bad choice either. I've got a couple friends who jump one or have jumped one for some time in the past.

Cheers,
Travis

I pmd Chuck on this as well but its a Wings EXT built to fit a normal 120. My Katana 107 goes in easy so I guess its a look and see. From the sounds of it a 111 may be a bit tuff but the 103 might work. I was leaning twords the 103 but wanted your guys opinion due to most of you having alot more experience under the Velo wing.

built for a normall 120. i would think and 84 would go easy in it. same for a 90. a 96 might be getting tight. and a 103real tight. a 111, would be tough.

but try it out and see what works.

I've done this before. In my experience, a well used 103 fit well in a container sized for a 120. I did not try a 111, but I think it might be snug, but within reach.

Well, a same-sized velo packs about 20 percent larger than a non-braced canopy. He may be able to get a 103 in that rig tight, but I seriously doubt a 111 would go in there. By comparison (I jump also jump Wings EXT's), I just barely can fit my Velo 84 in the same size container that I have my Sabre2 97 in.

Wouldn't it be smarter to buy a canopy based on what

A) you can safely fly
B) goals you have set for yourself
C) never buy a canopy based on what fits in your current container

if the 103 fits and that is what you can fly safely and fulfills your goal(s) great if it doesn't fit save until you can buy a new or used container that fits properly. just my 0.02 take it for what its worth

I think you missed the context of the original post. He already jumps a Katana 107. That is a very steep-diving canopy with a long recovery arc. I don't have any doubt that someone jumping that canopy could easilly transition to a crossbraced canopy in the 90-96 square foot range safely. Now if he really wanted a 103 or a 111, then I was simply pointing out that I seriously doubt either of those would fit in his rig; just another consideration he would have to take in account. Do you follow me?

Chuck

I checked with a friend that jumps the same size EXT and he jumps Velo 103 in both with PD 113 reserve. One rig is about 3 weeks old with brand new canopies in it. He said his 103 fits fine. We will see he offered to let me jump his rig next time we are both out at the DZ. I appreciate everyones input..

Didn't miss the point, I understood what you were saying, merely bringing it up because many other ppl read these post and apply it to their personal situation, I personal jump a Katana 107 myself and agree that he could probably transition without a problem. I'm not a canopy nazi by any means I just don't think canopy selection has anything to do with container size, if the canopy that you need to fly doesn't fit the container you own wait piece the system together when you get the coin that is all I was saying. I know you're a safety guy skymonkey and I'm sure you agree with that in a broad sense perhaps not specifically for this situation but in general.

I checked with a friend that jumps the same size EXT and he jumps Velo 103 in both with PD 113 reserve. One rig is about 3 weeks old with brand new canopies in it. He said his 103 fits fine. We will see he offered to let me jump his rig next time we are both out at the DZ. I appreciate everyones input..

That's good news then if you choose to go the 103 route. Have fun regardless which canopy you choose.