CanopyPiloting

$18,000 purse for CPC Championships...

In addition to the $15,000 cash purse for the 2005 CPC Championships and Pro events, The organizing staff for the CPC Championships has just announce they will give an extra $1000 for any world records set at the event. This means an extra grand for distance and an extra grand for speed. They will also put in $1000 for the first person to swoop the entire new swoop pond (369 feet) during the event.

The Top ranked pilots from the Pro Swooping Circuit's 2005 season and the top 5 competitors from each CPC district will be invited to compete at the Championships scheduled just after the U.S. Nationals of Canopy Piloting. THE TOTAL NUMBER OF COMPETITORS FOR THE CPC CHAMPIONSHIPS IS SET AT 100! There is over 60 "S-class" pilots competing on the CPC and 40 Pro competitors.

Pasted from www.canopypiloting.com

Jim,

I would like to add one thing:

For everyone that has questioned the posibility of distance records in Colorado, a CPC pilot went 460 feet yesterday on a practice run. The gates were 10 feet, and the pilot was waist deep in the gates. The run was cut short because the pilot had to shut it down early due to a tent that was approaching fast. This was witnessed by another CPC competitor that had just finished his run. Winds were reported as light.

Jason T

Yes, they are aware of this and he did mention that the pilot was waist deep which would put him in a five foot gate. Many pilots have already swooped over 400ft at this DZ and most of them you have never heard of before.

In addition, the IPC has not yet established world record categories for canopy piloting but the proper paper work has been submitted. The Pro Tour has established its own set of record categories and may soon organize its own "World level events"...

chris hays can correct me if im wrong. but i think he had danielle, during the florida leuge, estimate the advantage for distance for 10ft gates compared to 5 ft gates... and i think it came up to somthing like 30%..

any math folks out there? can you figure this up?

Yes, they are aware of this and he did mention that the pilot was waist deep which would put him in a five foot gate.

only if he was close to 8 feet to 10 feet tall.!!

but i get your point....

did you get my 35$ from hans and sandy for the dvd?....

oh ya.. if i get my shit together and start jumpin more.. i will definatly be there.!!;)

I think you might have missed the point i was trying to make. If we have local guys going 400+ or 450+ even on ten foot gates, (ignore the fact that they guy was deep in the gates), what can to pros do? The ultimate question is, how far can the best in the world go when the air is this thin. For years, everybody thought that the high altitude was going to hurt distance, but i think i will disagree. I think the distance records will be set here, and by a large margin! I might be wrong, but i can't wait to find out!

but i get your point....

;)

i get it... trust me!

everything is reletive.. less speed more lift=more distance.

less lift more speed= more distance...

= reletive... we will see what happens/.. i hope i get a weeks worth of practice though!;)

I'm one of the lesser experienced CPC competitors here in CO and I managed to rip a 400+ foot swoop today in practice (there was a downwind component). So if I can muster up 400+ feet, I can only imagine what the pros will be able to do. I can't wait to see them here in CO come September. But don't forget to bring your water wings people. This pond is huge!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

but i get your point....

;)

i get it... trust me!

= reletive... we will see what happens/.. i hope i get a weeks worth of practice though!;)

OK I'll bite:
If you have less speed how are you generating more lift to gain further distance???

To the same token, how is gaining speed but loseing lift giving you more distance??

Inquiring minds want to know. Modern physicists are interested too.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

seems that a lot of what were considered to be truths up until now may be proved wrong. People have been hittin near the 450 foot mark training up in colorado, there are some great swoopers up there to say the least, but i'm itching to see what the pros pull off.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

but i get your point....

;)

i get it... trust me!

OK I'll bite:
If you have less speed how are you generating more lift to gain further distance???

To the same token, how is gaining speed but loseing lift giving you more distance??

Inquiring minds want to know. Modern physicists are interested too.

you go ahead and explain it too me... since your going to try anyways... no really...

your reading it wrong dan.

If you can fly through a speed curve starting at 70mph and with a touchdown speed of 15 mph for 7 seconds OR can fly at 55 mph with a touchdown speed of 5 mph for 7 seconds, which one do you think will go further?

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

The problems associated with density altitudes are usually only considered when flying from high elevation airfields and bearing in mind the fact that the highest terrain quoted on the Jacksonville Sectional Chart is 720 feet above sea level and only 305 feet above sea level on the Miami sectional, you may have thought they could be discounted.
You would be wrong. With the high temperatures and high humidity experienced in Florida the problems associated with density altitude can be in existence even when the airfield you are operating from is virtually at sea level.
Density altitude is a measure of air density. As air density decreases, density altitude increases. The further effects of high temperature and high humidity are cumulative, resulting in an increasing high density altitude condition. High density altitude reduces all aircraft performance parameters, which means the normal engine horsepower is reduced, propeller efficiency decreases and a higher true airspeed is required to sustain the aircraft throughout its operating range.less lift, more speed
This does, of course, also mean an increase in runway length requirements for both takeoff and landing, and a decreased rate of climb.less lift more speed As an example, a light aircraft requiring 1,000 feet of runway for takeoff at sea level under standard atmospheric conditions will require double that length at an equivalent density altitude of 5,000 feet.
Great care should therefore be exercised when operating under significant density altitude conditions and the advice of a Flight Service Station should be sought.

there I Googled it for you.... now no need for explanation.

density altitude, in florida, it is very common to find it at 3500 feet or more.