CanuckInUSA

Local Colorado Front Range Ground Launching Sites

For those of you who know me and know that I left the DZ yesterday (because of the unjumpable weather conditions) to do a little ground launching, I thought I'd pass along a little beta info to you concerning some local ground launching sites based on what I've been able to investigate so far. Unfortunately we here in Colorado live next to the Rocky Mountains and as one of my friends pointed out to me yesterday, there is a reason why they are called the "Rocky" Mountains.

1) The local paraglider site where I went off to is absolutely launchable, but one must do so at their own bodily risk. This site is full of thousands and thousands of bone breaking rocks (some visible in the grass, some not). The paragliders need not worry about these rocks as they are able to fly over them to their intended landing area. But I don't think us ground launchers can over fly this area. So if you must launch at this site, full body armour and good boots seems to be the smart things to wear. By the way, I did numerous practice launches at this site, but refrained from actually launching due to not being outfitted in full body armour and the fact that it was cold (my muscles were cold and I didn't want to pull one doing a zero wind launch).

2) I went to another local fairly high profile site but I will not name it because ... well I don't think the man would like us launching from this site and launching here is similar to doing an illegal BASE jump. Anyway, I found two lines to launch from (I didn't actually launch here I was just investigating the site). But this site while steep enough and definitely looking fun, is also full of rocks and has a bust factor that the local paraglider site does not have.

3) I went to yet another less high profile site. This site is far from perfect. It's really not that steep and because of this it likely requires some wind to launch in. But it has the potential to be a good site to train at and to bring newbies to. It still has rocks on the ground, but it's not nearly as intimidating as the existing paraglider site. Plus there is a short but action packed line I found which I've named "Zig-zag" because if you don't zig at the right spot, followed by zagging at the right spot, you're in for a world of trouble. Anyway, this site is close to where I work and I hope to be hitting it when the winds are right and when I have some extra time at lunch or sometime after work before the sun sets. But I don't think this is the type of site where the launchers can get on their rear risers (it's just not all that steep).

4) I investigated another local site last Friday afternoon at lunch. It's definitely more of a training site than anything (it is bigger than site #3 I just mentioned), but it does have at least three different slopes (maybe four) to possibly launch from depending on the winds. But this site does have certain legal issues associated with it. It is on public land, but there is a sign at the parking area related to paragliders and hangliders which says that people should be using the first paraglider site I refered to instead of here. Now I'd still like to walk the hills of this site to get a feel for the land and rock hazards (I only checked this site out from the hiking trail last Friday), but I'm feeling that this site is safer than the existing paraglider site and I will tell the authorities this if they ever try to stop me while I'm using it.

Now there are still many many other potential sites (south and north, not to mention west of Denver/Boulder) which I have yet to check out. But these are the ones I've looked at so far which are in the front range Boulder, CO area.

Dang I knew I should have moved to the "Rolling Hills with Sand and Soft Grass" mountains instead of the "Rocky" mountains.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Come on, Steve. You know you could be busting some cool ten second flights down Ruby Hill. You could launch right next to the ten-year-olds on their sleds.

I may need to do that if I can't find a suitable site to train on to get ready for the blade running event at the US Canopy Piloting Grand Prix in April (I have qualified for the blade running event, but obviously not the swooping events which are open to only PST qualified people). Think the 10 year-olds will share their hill with me. :ph34r:

When I was ten years old that was one big-ass hill! I haven't been back to Denver in a very long time, but I bet it would be a great "learner" hill for ground launching. It is definitely steep enough! Smooth grass, nice run-off, and right in town (on the Littleton/Englewood side if I remember correctly).

4) I investigated another local site last Friday afternoon at lunch. It's definitely more of a training site than anything (it is bigger than site #3 I just mentioned), but it does have at least three different slopes (maybe four) to possibly launch from depending on the winds. But this site does have certain legal issues associated with it. It is on public land, but there is a sign at the parking area related to paragliders and hangliders which says that people should be using the first paraglider site I refered to instead of here. Now I'd still like to walk the hills of this site to get a feel for the land and rock hazards (I only checked this site out from the hiking trail last Friday), but I'm feeling that this site is safer than the existing paraglider site and I will tell the authorities this if they ever try to stop me while I'm using it.

What's up, Steve? Envious that you're out like this when the weather doesn't allow jumping, but I'm not far behind you. GLC#2 in 10 days...
Anyway, I wanted to share with you and any others back Home in CO an experience I had just before I got into skydiving. A colleague of mine (you know James) and I were looking into paragliding and went to a meeting of the local association (I forget the actual association's name) for information on instruction and how to get into the sport. In addition to that info, what I found at that meeting is that this group faces numerous access issues with respect to the City and County of Boulder public land and very hotly--and rightly so--defends their sites, even from some of their own members. I do not have enough info to speak to the specifics, but there were a couple of seemingly minimal actions by one or a few individuals that, however well intentioned (and it seemed they were), threatened further access to these launch points.
Maybe someone else on here knows the specifics and can offer a little more (or correct) info, but it brings to mind the BASE ethos: "Call the Local Rule", in this case the Locals being the pilots who have been launching from these sites already. Your interaction with the authorities could put a site at risk. I know you and I know that's not your style, so I thought I'd put this out there.
Looking forward to the upcoming weekend, man. Should be a good time and will be good to see you again.
-C.(ya)

Yah Colin I know where you are coming from with these other sites in Boulder. Dang ... I just can't seem to find anything that comes remotely close to what exists in the Sequoia (sp?) National Forrest out in CA. For the time being, I think I am going to have to suit up (body armour) and take my chances at the existing paraglider site. :o

I just can't seem to find anything that comes remotely close to what exists in the Sequoia (sp?) National Forrest out in CA.

Though my typical response would be "Move", that just doesn't make sense in this case. You're in Colorado and there's no more perfect place on Earth. One of these days I'll move back Home, but until then, CA is working out pretty well.
-C.

what about the old ski resort on the way to winter park???? above tree line, pretty good trails still, and you can hitch a ride back to the top. forest service has control. they have an office in winter park. back country skiers are using it, but id check with forest service though.

The skies are no longer safe

I'm back

He means Berthoud Pass. Elev of 11,300. Great place with many short hikes to backcountry powder - lots of low risk stuff in terms of av danger. It actually begins about 500 below treeline or so, but it is definately up there... You know something that would be very cool - there are tons of bowl type formations around colorado - like Loveland pass for instance. Could you ground launch off the lip of one of those bowls? Those are popular huck spots for skiers and snowboarders in the winter - alot of the edges approach 40-50 feet drop offs... Probably too high in terms of alti...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Probably too high in terms of alti...

Yes I knew Keith was talking about Berthoud Pass. And I wouldn't say that it is TOO high. But many of these sort of places here in CO are for more advanced Ground Launching pilots (likely only a handful of people in the world currently hold the skills and experience). I would like to find some good training places to build the skill and experience before I commit myself to an advanced launch. This is some serious shit (Ground Launching) and while launching at the GLC is not a safe activity. I'm beginning to think that Ground Launching here in CO is just down right dangerous. But I still want to do it and find some good sites for myself and others to train on. ;)

"Yes I knew Keith was talking about Berthoud Pass."

Sorry man I was really replying to sky1. Edit - and since I've never ground launched, I can't really comment with any kind of authority on alti... My bad.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Loveland Pass has been done. A skier/skydiver who lived/worked at A-Basin used to ground-launch it. With the frequency at which skiers/boarders ride down and hitchike back up, you're certain to find a ride back to the top... Especially when you're standing there w/ a canopy.
I'm with Steve, though...it's definitely a significant undertaking requiring a lot of skill.
Not yet, but one day... B|
-C.

how about those hills across from bandimere on the east side of 470. they face east into prevailing wind. not sure about ownership though. i think county openspace or if your lucky blm land. ill check friday when im down there.

The skies are no longer safe

I'm back