WingnutOrange

Accuracy landings

So I'm interested in learning traditional accuracy. I have an old accuracy rig borrowed from a friend, but I don't have any experience with such different techniques on such a gibangous canopy. I currently jump a sabre 170 and the landings are much different than what I see accuracy guys doing, though I am fairly accurate. Is there anyone in virginia that could give me instruction so I don't fuck myself up with this thing?:|
Blue Skies ya'll
--Wingnut

Just a question, why not do accuracy with your 170?

The benefit to a tradtional accuracy canopy, is that a big seven cell will maintain inflation with almost zero airspeed. This is helpful because you can aim high, as in overshooting your target, and when you're just about over top, deep brakes will lower you down onto the tuffet. Landing this way is not reccomended on a casual jump as the decent rate is a touch high, and if the canopy should stall, you have a problem (hence the usage of a tuffet).

Use your Sabre. The skills you build wil seve you well if you plan on downsizing canopies or in your day-to-day jumping, where you will be sharp with your Sabre, and off field landings will be a non-issue.

I got the UK equivalent of my Pro-rating on a ZP170 (Sabre clone). Accuracy on a Sabre 170 is more than possible and should be far more of a useful skill to you in ordinary day-to-day jumping.

Then again if you're actually asking about learning accuracy as a discipline... we've all ignored your actual question. Sorry :P

Even though it doesn't have the cool guy appeal of todays swooping, I think traditional accuracy is and can be very addictive. Yes you are coming down much slower, but your target in traditional accuracy is about the size of a quarter. How many of you out there can honestly say you can consistantly land on something that small? I would venture to guess very few of you could. A traditional accuracy approach is really not all to different than that of a swoop approach. You fly a pattern, but instead of doing a turn when you get over your intended entry point, you get into deep brakes and arrest your forward movement. Now the trick is to not let the wind blow you away from your target. So you have to put the canopy back into flight to over come the wind effect. You have to constantly be making corrections with your toggles to keep your position over your target. Now your approach is somewhat straight down. You think that's easy? Now try it in no winds. Now your are on the borderline of flying in the stall and being completely stalled. Even though you have quite a bit of material over your head, landing a stalled canopy is not a wise choice. That is why you see the accuracy folks landing on the "Tuffet". It is inflated with air (similar to the bouncy houses that you loved when you were a kid), and it helps with the shock of landing hard. Still think it's easy, then you havn't though about how you get your score. Usually the accuracy folks will strike the target with their heel. Now I want all of you to take a close look at the heel of your tennis shoe... Looks pretty big doesn't it. To hone down their heel area an accuracy competitor will sometimes glue a small door stop to the bottom of their shoe and sharpen the tip of it. It looks like something out of a nija movie!!! Some other things to think about, most people cannot see the botom of their heel unless they have it way out in front of them. Well, this is not a very good technique, because, the first part of your body that strikes is where you are scored. So if you are short on your approach, and you are reaching out with your legs, and your butt hits first, then you get scored at that point. Competitive accuracy is measured in Centimeters, and a centimeter is about half an inch, so there is a lot of centimeters between your heel and your ass. Enough centimeters to take you right out of a competition. Now us swoopers look back and laugh at the old farts who do this, but give them respect, as they were the swoopers of their age and time. If you want a good challenge, then ask your local classic accuracy competitor to give it a try. I belive that once you do it, you will then have a newfound respect for the atmoshpere, and all of it's little facets (lift, sink, turbulance, sheers, and winds), that you may not notice while flying the smaller canopy's.

Base jumping in my opinion is a lot like masturbation but with out the rewards. First of all you have to climb up the object you are going to jump off of. Then you have to jump off of it. It's usually a short jump and a short canopy ride. Next you have to land in some hole about the size of a small pick up bed. After that you have to climb back out of what you jumped into, sometimes evading the police. Then you have to repack the rig and do it all again. Sure sounds like fun to me.... NOT... But it looks good on you though. I got nothing against those who do it (except when they do stupid shit and die in the process), but it just doesn't really interest me.