Niklasp

ultimate wingloading for swooping?

A majority of the people winning the comps and their competitors are at 2.0 and slightly higher(.1,.2.3 etc) if you want a guage to go by.

Yep, they're also getting on bigger and bigger canopies. Ian, Shannon and Jay from PD are all on Velocity 103's now, wearing weights.

Blues
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Here's my thoughts on the issue...
VX-2.0-2.2(max) for distance
Velo 2.0 for distance
FX 1.85-1.9 for distance
XAOS ???? I havn't really jumped precision to much

Get the biggest wing that you can get and wear the weight. The more surface area over you the more lift you get the longer you swoop.

I believe JC is jumping a 111 or 114 VX or something along that size.

The other thing to think about is wing loading is secondary to a good technique. Someone with a higher WL will get a better swoop if his or her technique is better. Combining the two will make you unbeatable. That's all I have to say about that.

Get the biggest wing that you can get and wear the weight. The more surface area over you the more lift you get the longer you swoop.

I believe JC is jumping a 111 or 114 VX or something along that size.

SUrely there is some trade off between surface area\lift and drag?? I am not a swooper but am interested to know what is the perfect combination of size\wingloading for maximum results

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

I'm not exactly sure what the perfect combo is, but yes there is a point when you have so much canopy over yur head that you can't get it to speed up. But the cross braced canopy's are designed to pick up a lot of speed in a turn, so you can have a slightly bigger canopy. Most of the manufacturers will not make a CB canopy bigger than a 120. Just imaging a 190 vx or a 210 vx. You would be doing tandems with it just to load it up. The pack volumn would be astronomical, along with the cost. So to answer you question the ratio of canopy size to wingloading is going to be different for each person. How much weight is that person comfortable wearing, how big of a rig do they want, ect ect ect. I hope this has helped shed some light on the issue.

Something to consider if you're up sizing, increased front riser pressure. There is a noticable difference between a Velo 90 to a Velo 96 so I would imagine going up to a Velo 103 would create more pressure, get to the gym if you're considering it.

Authors qualifications........p.b. in distance 370ft
25 years & still lovin' it.