freeflydrew

Anyone flown the Stiletto 89?

Yes.

I found it flew better (for me) than the 97. Loading 2.42lbs.

I have heard (you know how roumors are) that the 89 is a slightly different planform.

In any event, even with the 89 I find the Stiletto to be a pretty inefficient canopy at loadings over 1.8 or so.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What was better or worse on the 89, and what do you mean that it's a different platform than a 97?

The 89 (even though grossly overloaded for the design) flew smoother and had more lift than the 97 for me.

As to planform, I've never confirmed this with anyone at PD.

Planform is the design of the airfoil.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think the 89 is where I'm heading

I am curious as to why you are looking at going with a stiletto at ~2.3:1?? Why would you not switch to x-braced at this point instead?

Please understand this is not a critique, simply a question:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I understand that. Stick with what you like and are used to.B| I am by NO MEANS ready for that. I just downsized to a xf2 109. It will be a long time before i go x-braced.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

i get asked that a lot... For quite some time I have thought of switching to a cross braced canopy, but I just love the way the Stiletto opens flies floats, cruises, and lands: consistently. I'm just not in a rush to make the switch!

I'm with ya on that. I was very stubborn to give up the Stiletto.Nothing flies like it but the Xaos 27 cell finally satisfied my desire for glide and snappy turns.

I like the 97 at around 1.8 ish more so than the 89 at 2.0 It's a nice canopy but I didn't see much difference. It actually felt like the 97 had better performance. With out putting more jumps on an 89, it's a little tough to make that call but my initial feeling is to either go cross brace or stick with a larger Stiletto.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Jeffro has been trying to make me a switcher, so if and when I do go Xbraced, it'll be a Xaos 27...

*cough* Velocity. Seriously though they're all good (the x-braces) but each one suits everyones flying styles differently. I'd definately check them ALL out before you lock yourself into a particular brand.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

heh - I hear ya. My point was more at the "XAOS only" comment. At some point if Drew decides to step up to the plate, he's going to have to let go of the stiletto and find an xbrace that he likes. For me, that was the velocity, but I think they're all good canopies. I'd just hate to see a pilot not get the canopy that would have liked more (not necessarily the velo) because they didn't demo them all.

Jeffro is sponsored, he'll push the XAOS because it's his job, as will Jim for the VX and Ian for the Velo, etc, etc.

I'm just encouraging Drew to check out all the options when the time comes ;)

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

If you are buying new, you should consider the Katana. It seems to have enough bottom end lift to go down one size from a Stiletto. It has similar handling, with more of a dive/longer recovery arc. Worth a try, if you can find one to demo.

I actually tried a 107 Katana out and wasn't too excited about it (Demo-ed two weekends ago for the weekend)... i wasn't getting the greatest openings, I wasn't able to stay up in deep brakes (which is super important at the Ranch), and i didn't notice much of a difference in the swoop. I guess that it's not for me... although Kolla has suggested to me that i try out the 97 Katana, so maybe I'll check that one out sometime, I really like the Stiletto...

heh - I hear ya. My point was more at the "XAOS only" comment. At some point if Drew decides to step up to the plate, he's going to have to let go of the stiletto and find an xbrace that he likes. For me, that was the velocity, but I think they're all good canopies. I'd just hate to see a pilot not get the canopy that would have liked more (not necessarily the velo) because they didn't demo them all.

Jeffro is sponsored, he'll push the XAOS because it's his job, as will Jim for the VX and Ian for the Velo, etc, etc.

I'm just encouraging Drew to check out all the options when the time comes ;)

Blue ones,
Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm definitely one to check out all the options before buying, and velo is definitely up there with the xaos.

I've never personally flown a Stiletto 89, but have talked with several people who have, and they say its a amazing canopy, and in many ways fly's "different" than the larger stilettos. I jump a velocity, and I love it, but I have to say my Stiletto 107 is by far my favorite canopy. The Stiletto is a beautiful parachute.

Lance

Planform refers to the shape of the wing and we sometimes genereically refer to a wing as an airfoil. With respect to parachutes they are generally referred to as having an elliptical planform, square, round, tapered, semi-elliptical, etc. Airfoils are generally described by a series of NACA numbers that are used to describe the shape of the airfoil. They are typically flat bottomed, symmetrical, asymmetrical, or cambered.
alan

i get asked that a lot... For quite some time I have thought of switching to a cross braced canopy, but I just love the way the Stiletto opens flies floats, cruises, and lands: consistently. I'm just not in a rush to make the switch!

Hey Drew!

Sorry I just picked up this thread. I had about 1000 jumps on my St 97 when I decided I wanted more. I didn't want the responsibility associated with a X-Brace. So I went with the ST 89. Ummm. I liked the 97 better. I have about 200 jumps on the 89 and I still can't make it go faster than my 97.

Do you want me to send it to you so you can check it out for yourself? Or maybe, if you are heading north, you can come on by and jump it.

If I was staying very current, I would be considering a Katana or Velocity, but I'm, well, just lagging these days!

PM me if you wanna...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!