frankiebrina

It has been a week........

I got my 107 today B|. I sort of bought it blind, never tried it, but I needed a new cannopy for this season, tried both the Stilletto and Ven 107, and thought what I have read about the Katana was what I was looking for, so I figured what the h...

If the weather here in sweden cooperates I will try it this weekend! If it doesn't I think I'll turn into a nervous reck! I got my new Odyssey RSK today also, so I REALLY want to try them both this weekend.

I got my 107 today B|. I sort of bought it blind, never tried it, but I needed a new cannopy for this season, tried both the Stilletto and Ven 107, and thought what I have read about the Katana was what I was looking for, so I figured what the h...

If the weather here in sweden cooperates I will try it this weekend! If it doesn't I think I'll turn into a nervous reck! I got my new Odyssey RSK today also, so I REALLY want to try them both this weekend.

Can I have some of your money? I think you have too much B|B|

Well it's not a great example of a "testing" but I did manage 1 jump on our new 120.

1.8 wingloading, beautiful 900 foot opening slow, and I swear it didn't move more than 5 degrees off heading.

Smooth flight, even with the turbulent day we were having. Nice long control range, very light front riser pressure.

Dives a lot more than a Stiletto, but less than a Velocity. Powerful flare, but the "meat" starts around the shoulder level, vs. my old Stilettos that started around the ears. Lot of flare in the toggle stroke, and didn't neet to use more than about waist level to bring the canopy to a hover in 10 mph winds. Bottomde the toggles out and picked me up about 4 feet.

I'll try it again, nice canopy. Probobly won't buy one as I don't like having crossbraced in one rig, and non crossbraced in the other.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Have you flown a similar sized XF2? How would you compare?

Yes but I have not flown the Katana enough to make a direct comparison.

I can compare the XF2 to the Stilletto, the canopy I started making Katana comparisons to.

The XF2 is not nearly as responsive to toggle, or riser input as the Stiletto. It has a powerful flare, but it begins lower in the toggle stroke than the Stiletto. The XF2 has a lower front riser pressure than the Stiletto. It's openings tend to be slower, but less prone to being on heading. The stall point of a properly trimed an set up XF2 comes on suddenly, and is difficult to fly in a stall with toggles or risers, compared to the same manuver on Stiletto. XF2's dive harder and londer than a Stiletto, but not more than a Vengance, and certianly not close to a Velocity at the same loading.

All comparisons are a) my opinion based on personal experience, and b) close to the same wingloadings.

beautiful 900 foot opening slow, and I swear it didn't move more than 5 degrees off heading.

JP,

Did you do anything special packing the Katana? I've had a hell of time with my Stiletto and that is why I'm now looking at either the Katana or the Crossfire2.

Scott

I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

Nope, nothing special.

When I pack, I count off the number od cells I should have, gather them all together at the "A" line attachment pointl, and hold them between my thighs while I clear the brake and "D" lines. Then I take the nose by the "A" lines again and push it back so the tip of the cels is in line with the front of the packjob (looking down) Bring the slider down and sperad it left and right, then spread it back and front, making sure it completely covers the nose. Pull the tale up around the lines, and take 3 or 4 wraps down the front. Lay the pack job down, cock the P/C squish the air out, and the roll the wings in and under the packjob. Get off the packjob, put one small fold in buy picking up the "lines" end of the packjob and folding it over the top of the pack job forming an "S". Usualy this is about 4-5 inches long. put one knee on the fold, and the other on the ground next to it to control it, pick the rest of the packjob up by "hugging" it to my chest, squish a little more air out, and "roll" the remaining canopy down on top of the fold. Prep the bag, lift one corner of the stack into the bag, and then pull the bag around the other corner. turn the bag upright, and clean it up. Close as normal.

This (if it makes any sense) has worked for me on every canopy I've owned and some I haven't. When I jumped Stilettos, I did get more off heading openings than I do with my current canopys, but rarely line twists, and I haven't *had* to chop anything since my 26th jump.

Thanks for the reply JP. Doesn't sound like you've done anything different than I have in the past with my Stiletto. I've done everything I can think of, SkyGod7777 can atest also since he's packed it more than me. :) But after demoing a Crossfire2 119 I fell in love with the openings. Now, I'm ready to buy and PD hits me with the Katana! Hrmmmm.....what to do??? :) Thanks again.

Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

Katana. If they make the size you want. You'll probably like the way it flys if you like your Stiletto.

It's different, but more similar than changing brand. PD's just fly a certain way, ya' know?