diablopilot

Do we do enough to deter incidents?

Doing the right thing, and nothing else, is usually much more productive.

So what is the right thing? To allow it to be glamorized again and again and not let people see the harsh reality of a mistake?

ALL aspects of this sport are continually being sugar coated so the masses who join evey year are lulled into a false sense of saftey.

There is a new generation who does not and will not understand the Ideology of "Blues Skies, Black Death" They are the ones who assume things are "guarenteed".

Well nothing is, other that the truth that you WILL land.

In respect to high performance canopy flight the answer is education, via a mentoring program currently, as there is no sanctioned or sport wide mandatory instructional program yet.

This is only half the answer. Until someone sees the loss created in countless others from an individuals passing, until somone has seen the pain and agony an accident can leave a victim with YEARS afterward, until someone has held the hand of a human being who's life force is leaving their body lying in a DZ landing area, I do not believe they TRULY understand the stakes they are playing for.

Does this mean people should not continue high risk behavior? Some of them yes. I know these things make me more aware, and more focused on not becoming a stastistic by whatever means nessecery.

Would I like to see a higher percentage of people scared out of the sport? Yes. There are MANY who do not belong as they are incidents waiting to happen.

Do I thing some people could be saved through education? Yes. But I also believe there are those who can be helped by being "scared straight".

Please understand perhaps I misrepresented what I was looking for in the first post. The gore may not be the tool needed. But a harsh reality of the consequences is.

Now, this is really sick. I don't want to see gory pictures and footages. Most people i know don't want to watch such crap.

Why? So you can pretend it didn't happen? So you can read the neatly typed synopsis put out by the USPA, and assign blame for an incident on some intangible the "obviously" couldn't happen to you?

This disturbs me because it is indicative of our societies trend to not look at what we don't like. We refuse to view what we don't want to deal with, by ignoring it. We will turn a blind eye to that which shocks our sensibilities, and hide from reality.

Guess what. The world is a HARSH place. Too many people retreat back into their "view". They create reasons why "it can't happen to me", "I'm better than that", "it was the canopies/weathers/whatevers fault".

Bullshit. Telling people there is right way to do it is a great idea, but to reach them, and make them receptive you may have to show them what happens when it's done wrong.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm no TM but I'm told that the 1st thing prospective BPA TMs do is watch a video of tandem fatalities. Why? Because prospective TMs need to undertand the consequences of what they're doing and the responsibility that they take on every time they jump with a student. I'm not suggesting that AFF students should be watching snuff movies but I am agreeing with JP, pretending these things don't happen won't help anyone.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The "Tandem Fatality" tape is a tape showing some of the most common types of tandem fatalies caught on tape. Side spins are the majority of the tape but I seem to recall there might have been a premature or something. It makes you think when you see the videographer open (way low) and the tandem pair is still going and it fades to black...

Swooping incidents are caught on tape a lot more frequently and the tape could be a lot longer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Swooping incidents are caught on tape a lot more frequently and the tape could be a lot longer.

So now you have something for the accidents waiting to happen, the know it alls that won't listen and all of the rest that start swooping before they have the skills.......
What do you do for the people that don't swoop, are very conservative and visibly otherwise safe. until one day they perform a panic manuever or no imput to a situation that causes them to brake or die?
What do you have to show the ones that realistically can otherwise be swooping.They know the risks, have been around and lost friends too. They have skills, lots of experience ( maybe beyond reproach by someone less skilled and experienced than they) and until the one day that they show us they're human and humans make mistakes.

The fatalities point to an equal mixture of each of the above.

Don't blame the total problem on one facet of the problem. The reaper is all about equal opertunity.