Zennie

Swooping The Line Mod?

A few Parachutists (or Skydivings, can't remember) I saw a shot of a guy swooping what appears to be the line mod. For those of you not into BASE, that's a slider down/off configuration with the control lines outside the keeper rings.

Ramon and I both looked at it fairly closely and we're pretty certain it wasn't a triple riser setup.

Any swoopers ever tried this? I can see some aerodynamic advantages to using the line mod, but the flare and flight characteristics are VERY different.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

A few Parachutists (or Skydivings, can't remember) I saw a shot of a guy swooping what appears to be the line mod. For those of you not into BASE, that's a slider down/off configuration with the control lines outside the keeper rings.

Ramon and I both looked at it fairly closely and we're pretty certain it wasn't a triple riser setup.

Any swoopers ever tried this? I can see some aerodynamic advantages to using the line mod, but the flare and flight characteristics are VERY different.

well, i'm not sure about the brake lines being outside of the guide rings (i haven't even seen the pic your talking about) but it could be a set up like the PD team uses, to take off the slider. and then have triple riser, but it may only be a piece of like 550 dacron or something, that may not show up in a pic (if the quality isn't very good).

that's what i think, but again, i haven't seen the pic.

later

...but it could be a set up like the PD team uses, to take off the slider. and then have triple riser...

I'm not so sure that they're using the triple risers with that configuration.
Got any pics or anything to support that?

AND- I have seen a mod that one of the guys was checking out with an additional line on the control lines... Is that what Zennie could be talking about? The additional line carries a lot of slack when flairing, but is tight when using the rear risers...
-drew

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...but it could be a set up like the PD team uses, to take off the slider. and then have triple riser...

I'm not so sure that they're using the triple risers with that configuration.
Got any pics or anything to support that?

no, i was saying, maybe this guy (not sure who it is) was using triple's not the pd guys. sorry for making that unclear.

AND- I have seen a mod that one of the guys was checking out with an additional line on the control lines... Is that what Zennie could be talking about? The additional line carries a lot of slack when flairing, but is tight when using the rear risers...

ya, i just found out what that is. i was talking to TJ langren, it's called the J mod. it is for using rear risers, instead of just pulling down the C and D lines, you have a line that goes to the cascades on the brake lines from the rear risers. so then you pull down more of the tail when using rears.

he also said it only works on the 7 (21 what ever...) cells, not the 9's.

later

instead of just pulling down the C and D lines, you have a line that goes to the cascades on the brake lines from the rear risers. so then you pull down more of the tail when using rears.

That is what it is... a season or too ago, I was hanging with Jay at Eloy and he was experimenting with that line mod... I think he was just in the process of getting hooked up with pd? I wasn't sure if that setup was something that had a name, or was even talked about really.
Right on!
-drew

So is that what they're talking about?

Actually, most people call that the "E" line mod. It was designed for people who absolutely would not bail on a semi-blown rear riser approach and just drop to toggles as a "save your ass" maneuver. It, after a few inches, pulls the tail down as well as the C and D lines. It, by all accounts, does a lot to prevent high-speed stalls when you dig too deep with your rears. I don't use it. I know at least one other person here on the DZ, Andy Honnigbaum, who had it on then took it off.

Chuck

ya, i just found out what that is. i was talking to TJ langren, it's called the J mod. it is for using rear risers, instead of just pulling down the C and D lines, you have a line that goes to the cascades on the brake lines from the rear risers. so then you pull down more of the tail when using rears.

he also said it only works on the 7 (21 what ever...) cells, not the 9's.

Would this be at all similar to the fifth upper control line mod on BASE canopies (as far as the effect goes)?
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Do you have any pictures of the mod?

My curiosity as to what it looks like is fairly peaked.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/pdzone/photoView.asp?team=flight1&category=swoop&offset=36&id=282

here's a pic of one of the pd guys with the mod. you can see the line coming off the cascades of the brake line (it has a lot of slack in it).