bobsled92

ANY1 fly CompCobalt?

I'm interested in a 170 Comp Cobalt.(204lbs)
I have flown a 170 Cobalt and I am more interested in the "Comp" due to openings and advice I been given rather than have to modify it.
input based on experience please.
-Grant

From my understanding, they don't actually produce a CC170, BUT I know of a jumper that has one that is a 170...all he had to do was ask. B|;)

>>>Thanks foor the response, I'm trying to absorb.
Actually it is advertised at Company site and SkyKat for Comp Cobalt 170.
I usually bug Chuck for everything.
If we don't go on STRIKE (please God, no strike) then my order goes in Monday morning(Custom)
-Grant

Competition Cobalt Click Here $ 1,700.00

Use the "Click Here" to custom color your canopy!
The Competition Cobalt provides the blazing performance needed to compete and win pro-level swoop competitions!
The spanwise triangulated braced nose reduces airfoil distortion on the most important part of the wing. Matches and exceeds performance of cross braced tricell canopies while providing the sweetest "multistage" openings, 15-20% smaller pack volume, and lower cost.
Ultra high performance canopy designed specifically for competition swooping. The high efficiency wing is optimized for extreme distance.
For experienced pilots only.

Size75 sq. ft.85 sq. ft.95 sq. ft.105 sq. ft.120 sq. ft.170 sq. ft. + $ 20.00
>>>and confimed with Dan Preston
I just wanted to know if the 170 had a difference of "ground hungry" that I should be concerned with.

I just wanted to know if the 170 had a difference of "ground hungry" that I should be concerned with.

No it doen'st equate to more ground hungry. It should actually feel a bit larger than the regular cobalt.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's just what I wanted to hear. (I respect my limitations)
Now, I hope the "6 to 8 week for custom order" is reality:)Yahoo!
-Grant G.

I received my Cobalt this week. Delivery time 7 weeks!:)
Tom
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy sh1t...what a ride!"

Send a PM to rgoper. I think he either got his 170 modified or exchanged for a competition cobalt.

I jump a 105 comp cobalt (215 w/ gear) and it opens softly.:)
ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

i think there is a chance we have a cc170 in stock. (i keep making canopies for demo's, and the office keeps selling them before i get the chance to put risers on).

Sincerely,

Dan<><>
office # 718-923-1709
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Send a PM to rgoper. I think he either got his 170 modified or exchanged for a competition cobalt.

RGOPER ditched his 170 Cobalt for a HEATWAVE.
He did try to sell it to me.
I wish I could demo a 170 C.C.
I demoed a reg. 170 Cobalt (hit or miss openings =soft&crack)
I have the Money as of 8-3 for a new canopy, FINALLY! cash.;) I just want to be happy with it
(I'm already proud of the colors I picked, now for pride in my pick):)

Yeah, the Heatwave is a good canopy. Its been good to me, atleast. I've got over 300 jumps on mine and it flies great, opens great and swoops well (I'm averaging around 150-200ft swoops on my 170). Although I'm finding quirks in the Heatwave, having to do with speed vs. the recovery arc (shorter recovery arc + a lot of speed = a VERY short recovery arc).

Eitherway, my experience with a Heatwave has been much much better then my personal experience with Colbalt canopies (although I've never flown a CC).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

you had mentioned you got the hard open with the same deom (Regular 170 Cobalt) that I tried out.
Chuck mentioned that if I get one, to get the Comp, then no mods are needed-it's all there.
------Dave DeWolf told me that I would have avoided buying my last canopy if I had demoed it 1st. and stated I should NEVER buy ANYTHING I have not jumped 1st.
It keeps you from "having to change sizes too soon or up-size due to hastey choices"
Good advice from an active legend that I'm privladge to belond to the same jump club as.
-Grant
p.s. he's sit-flying(and going into freefly now:)

you had mentioned you got the hard open with the same deom (Regular 170 Cobalt) that I tried out

Yup. We later found out from the company that that specific canopy (and some of the other 170s made) had that problem, so they redesigned them (I think).

Well, if/when you jump the CC, let us know how it flies, especially since you flew the regular 170 previously.

Although I think my next canopy/downsize is going to be to a 150-ish Xfire2 or Katana (if it does what I think it will do...we'll see in a month or so, I guess).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

PM me if you want to. They are actually damn good parachutes. While we are posting pictures here is one of me swooping the Panama city beach on a CC105 loaded at 2.15 (wearing 12 lbs of lead). I was by my self on a beautiful day. The dark strip on the front is the cross bracing on the nose
I was wearing weights because I went on a little diet,;) but, before I left Jim Slaton wanted to borrow my weight belt, cuz his broke....hmmm ....:)
j/k... bigger parachutes with weight are in...;)

Peace
Ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.