RichM

What canopy next for a swooper?

I currently jump a 119 Xfire 1 loaded at 1.5. Its a fabulous canopy and surfs well, but I've done about 10 jumps on a Velocity 120 and I much prefer it's dive and surf characteristics. Should I get me a Xfire2 at a heavier loading, or should I go x-braced (Xaos 21/Velocity)? Some peeps at my dz reckon its not really worth going x-braced until your loading is in the 1.8+ range. I have 680 jumps and can pass Bills tests on canopy control (although I have never yet landed on rear risers).
Rich M

I can tell you from personal experience that cross bracing really doesn't do much for you until you get loaded up closer to 1.8 or more. I fly at about 2.1 and love my Xaos, but under that loading I'd rather jump a Stiletto or my old Crossfire 1.

IMO, if you're under about 1.9 or so, you're just paying more and getting a fatter packing canopy if you're jumping X-braced.

You've got to load them up for them to optimize!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I looking forward to the new canopy from PD...I'm betting its going to a sweet canopy and something a step up the ladder from a stilletto/xfire1/etc but a step before going xbraced.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Damo a crossfire2 at 1.7... That will make you VERY happy..

Damn dude! For as much as you talk up that canopy you ought to be sponsored! :P That said, I'm expecting mine early next week. I feel a bit of a cold coming on, *cough* *cough* ;)

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

lol

I've jumped allot of them.. And for under a 2.0 wing loading I don't think anything can outperform it that isn't crossbraced.

But I am one of those guys that loves a really fast turning, twitchy, hard diving canopy ;)

Rhino

I am going to order my next javelin with the plans of my next xfire2. Sunpath has a good lead time so I can jump the piss out of mine for now and maybe start jumping the next one over the winter when there is no one in the air. For the record I'm gonna go to a wingloading of about 1.7 too.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I can tell you from personal experience that cross bracing really doesn't do much for you until you get loaded up closer to 1.8 or more. I fly at about 2.1 and love my Xaos, but under that loading I'd rather jump a Stiletto or my old Crossfire 1.

IMO, if you're under about 1.9 or so, you're just paying more and getting a fatter packing canopy if you're jumping X-braced.

You've got to load them up for them to optimize!

Thanks, that corroborates what a few peeps have said, and will save me some money on a new canopy B|
Rich M

I looking forward to the new canopy from PD...I'm betting its going to a sweet canopy and something a step up the ladder from a stilletto/xfire1/etc but a step before going xbraced.

Me too, but (a) I don't know how long it will be and like any child I want one *NOW* ;), and (b) I prefer to leave new kit for 6 months in the field before I consider buying it, remembering the Xfire1 and Ninja saga's.
Rich M