sneaky

Spectre 120 Reviews

I need to hear some honesty people.I would like to hear from anybody who jumps a Spectre 120 or any Spectre Loaded at 1.4 ( approx ).Im not worried about the loading ,Im more interested in these questions;
1: Consistency of openings over 500 jump period:ph34r:
2: Performance in Turbulent conditions[:/]
3: The Flair and swoop performance.B|
4:The sink rate,and glide using risers or brakes.:S
5:How the canopy performs as a work canopy....>:(

I need to get a second rig and this is an option I am seriously considering,but the only spectre120's I have seen are jumped by Skysurfers...and I put 1 jump on one which was nice but not enough to form an opinion.

I am more concerned with question 1 and 5....

Big it up and Blue Skys

Sneaky >:(B|

Mine's not quite that old yet :P It has just under 400 jumps but is starting to go out of trim. I am still happy jumping it for now, but will buy a new set of lines when I'm in Florida at the end of the year. At the moment it has a tendency to open with a slight right turn. As I know about it, I compensate in the harness. If you are looking at a Spectre with over 500 jumps, check that its lines have been replaced, or bargain the price down so that you can pay for a new line-set.

I don't surf it, as I can't :$, but have a friend with over 1,000 jumps, mainly on Spectres (135's and 120's) and she does, so does one of our camera men so it is obviously possible!

I have been jumping the 135 since my 80th jump (with hindsight I'm scared that I downsized so quickly at the time!), so have little experience of other canopies to compare it with! I'm happy with it and having learned a lot more since I bought it, will probably not downsize for a while and am thinking I will jump it until it is dead!

The main 'concern' I have with it is that it snivels when I flat fly. It makes it more comfortable on opening, but I would say it takes a good 6 - 7 seconds to open. Again, being used to that it isn't a problem and I pull accordingly slightly higher (around 2,800) and have never been told off by anyone for pulling high! I have been free-flying quite a bit recently and it opens faster, presumably because despite washing off speed on my belly at the end of the dive I am still going faster than if I had been on my belly for the whole jump.

No idea about question 5 - I currently don't work for a living and am unlikely to take up skydiving for work!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I have a couple of 150's that are fairly new, and I load them just over 1.5. Each has about 150 jumps on them. My first 200 jumps were on a Spectre 170. It's the only canopy I've owned, and is the only canopy I plan on ever owning.

I fly camera every weekend, and fly a very heavy camera setup for fun.

The openings are very consistent and on-heading (with one dramatic exceptionB|)

Very dependable in turbulent conditions. At our boogie last September I flew through something like a dust devil and had the 170 completely collapse drop me about 20 feet and reinflate. I was too busy flying it to see it, but I was told it was a crowd-pleaser. My DZ is windy and turbulent and I really like the way the Spectre handles it.

Flair is great, and the canopy can be very accurately landed. I generally do a 90 degree front riser to final approach and can get a decent surf. I do it mostly to just get a better flare, not to impress the chicks. Mad John, a big-time organizer and local, swoops his through the pond, and occasionally into it:ph34r::ph34r:

They are great casual CRW canopies, we use them for that on our DZ regularly, so riser and brake control is superior.

And I wouldn't want to be jumping anything else with a heavy helmet on my head. I also look at what the veteran camera guys are flying, and lots of them are on Spectre's.

Hey thanks Guys this is great...

I come from the xbrace clan and its hard to get peoples opinion without it being biased.

I need this type of canopy for work,openings are everything and the last thing i need is a chop when I have a student to worry about ( Im going for my AFF finally B|) so i need total peace of mind ( well a bit ).Problem with my FX is your have to fly it out of the bag.
I actually refer the FX openings ( sorry Jyro.. I owe you a beer ) as a box of chocolates because you never know what your gonna get!! With only 1800 on them so far... i would say its consistanly good but not enough to for what I want a canopy to do.( I timed my descent from opening to Landing once and it was 50 seconds.. and that is no spirals and a few turns for setup ,oh and I am under canopy by 2k normally ).Oh and boy do the spin on a twisty one!!!

I have seen the Spectre only a few times and to me it looks awesome..The guys fly it nice and it looks solid and lands great. ( These are skysurfer dudes ).

OK I order a 120 and will post feedback when I get it and test.

Big it up and Thanks !!

I have a Spectre190 loaded at about 1.3 and have put 450 jumps on it. Openings have been very consistent. I had one slammer about 50 jumps ago.

A couple of years ago I had a tension knot in the right toggle which prevented me from releasing the right brake. I steered and landed comfortably using only the left. This was at Lost Prairie, so I had some altitude. I'm not sure how many other canopies would have been landable under those circumstances.

Trim-- the outboard A lines are about 3 1/2 inches shorter than trim specs. I'll probably get it relines soon, and hope to demo a 170 Sabre 2 when I do.

A spectre can't compete in swooping, but it can do it. I am a very conservative pilot though, so I don't get to say much about it.

I think a Spectre is a great canopy.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Get in touch with Tony Hathaway at Zhills. I figure he's loading his Spectre 120 at about 1.4ish and with 10,000+ jumps is more than qualified to give you all the feedback you'd need. He puts about 1000 jumps a year on his Spectres and knows them inside and out. Oh, and he can swoop the snot out of it.

www.tonyhathaway.com