AggieDave

Swoop Course, different gates?

Alrighty, a question for yall.

What are the different "standard" entrance gates used for swoop comps and what are the pros/cons of the different types?

edit: Obviously I'm not a competitor nor am I close to having the experience to be one, I'm just curious.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The only pro-level comps I can think of right now are PST, RedBull Wings and PSN. PSN and RedBull don't use gates - RedBull uses targets, PSN is all on water. PST uses 5' (pro) and 10' (adv) air blades.

If you go to proswoopingtour.com, they have diagrams of all of the courses. And if you go to to the PD website - PD Zone - Flight 1 section, there are videos that show the 2 different courses for the RedBull qualifyers. Check out Heath's runs in Texas and ZHills.

I'm not a competitior either - that may be why I'm not sure what you mean by the pros and cons of entry gates. Have you considered asking Jim S./Lyle or AK Jon?

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

PST uses 5' for pro and 10' for Adv... the old PPPB course was 14' for speed and 5' for distance and carve accuracy... Red Bull has a 5' bonus gate and 10' normal gates with "noodle targets" about 2' tall and a taget at the end of the course...

each size has different utility... 5' gates really force you to be on and also pose less of a snag risk...

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke