RichM

I've converted Jerry Sobiesky's paper to M$ Word

I've converted Jerry Sobiesky's excellent "The Aerodynamics and Piloting of High Performance Ram Air Canopies" to MS Word. It's a direct port with the addition of an index. There are a couple of incomplete sentences that Jerry is looking at, but I decided not to complete them myself as I might misjudge his original intent.

It's currently available here. Can anyone suggest a more appropriate place for it (remember this isn't talk back :P)
Rich M

What kind of format did this originally appear in? I'm just wondering if it is approved by Jerry for you to convert it to Word and publish it on the internet. If it is approved, I would suggest that a good place for it would be the Safety page. You could pm Sangiro about that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks skymama, the original format was in LaTeX (Jerry promises me that is an old UNIX typesetting language, what can I say ;)). Jerry and I have been swapping emails and he was going to review it for me, but that was a while ago. I chased him recently and his response was to carry on and not wait for him, he'll look at it when he can. I'll pm sangiro.

Thanks to Jimbo's suggestion there's also an acrobat version here.

Rich M

Thanks skymama, the original format was in LaTeX (Jerry promises me that is an old UNIX typesetting language, what can I say ;)). Jerry and I have been swapping emails and he was going to review it for me, but that was a while ago.

Any chance that I could get my hands on the original LaTeX file? I can to a conversion straight from LaTeX to pdf that should preserve all of the original formatting. My email address is in my profile.

excellent "The Aerodynamics and Piloting of High Performance Ram Air Canopies"

The excellent part of this paper are the sections entitled ""Learning to Fly the Canopy," "Landing," and "Crash Landing," in the 13 pages from page 58 through page 70. This is the part that should be posted for more general reading.

The rest of it is a gassy exposition of the Ideal Gas Law (which tells us that a hot, humid day in Houston is like a cool, dry day in Denver -- that's not news), and an embarassing discussion of airfoil performance (no mention of parasite or induced drag, for example). Edit this stuff out, so folks don't have to wade through it to get to the good stuff.

Mark

Any chance that I could get my hands on the original LaTeX file? I can to a conversion straight from LaTeX to pdf that should preserve all of the original formatting. My email address is in my profile.

My source material was obtained from PD's web site but it's not there now that I can find. SOrry.
Rich M

excellent "The Aerodynamics and Piloting of High Performance Ram Air Canopies"

The excellent part of this paper are the sections entitled ""Learning to Fly the Canopy," "Landing," and "Crash Landing," in the 13 pages from page 58 through page 70. This is the part that should be posted for more general reading.

The rest of it is a gassy exposition of the Ideal Gas Law (which tells us that a hot, humid day in Houston is like a cool, dry day in Denver -- that's not news), and an embarassing discussion of airfoil performance (no mention of parasite or induced drag, for example). Edit this stuff out, so folks don't have to wade through it to get to the good stuff.

Mark

Mark,

I have gone to considerable lengths to ensure my port accurately reproduces the original. Jerry obviously put a lot of time and effort into creating this document. If you think you can do better than Jerry's document then please feel free, I am sure the skydiving community will welcome your contribution.
Rich M

That paper has been online for a while at http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/highperf.pdf.

True, but that is a Acrobat conversion of the PostScript conversion of the original LaTeX document. IMO, it looks like a photcopy of a photocopy or a fax of a fax compared to the original. Rich's Word conversion is brand new and looks much cleaner. Thanks Rich!

Bob