TALONSKY

Gaging one's swoop ability

I am just wondering what the average length of the average swoop is? I realize there is a huge amount of ability in preforming the swoop correctly verses digging it out, but this is a simple question of length of swoop.
I have been doing high performance landing for my last 200 landing. Currently when I do not plain out high I am averaging between 150 to 190 feet.
Thanks
Kirk

Also what is a Swoop? Is it only when your feet are under 5 feet like pro rules? Is it when you let go of your front risers? Is it only the length of your toe drag?

I've talked to people that claim to have these really long swoops, but when you look at the video with good refernce indicators such as windblades or people their swoop is far less then they think it is. 150 feet is enough to qualify as intermediate on the PST.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

well, i really don't think there would be an "average" swoop for different canopies. there are soooo many different varibles, type, size, wingloading, type of hook/carve.

but what i kinda sounds like your asking is, am i getting decent swoops under my canopy, and looking at your profile, i would say yes. the crossfires won't go as far as the crossbraced canopies, but will go quite a ways.

hell, i've seen many times people swooping longer on a crossfire than a crossbraced because they can't handle the crossbraced canopies, but the "conventinal" canopy, they can swoop really well.

i'm not too sure how far i've been going on my swoops, but i did get some compliments on them last week down in florida, so i don't know.

later

Well my thought on distance is under 5' per competion rules.
I guess where I am going with this question is to try and gage how my swoops are progressing. To measure mine, we have a 200ft swoop pond and my last 20 swoops have been flying parallel to it and landing right next to it. My last swoop I was lucky enough to get it on video, I touched the water at about 5 feet from the start of the pond and made it to about 5 feet from the end of the pond(which means yes I landed in the pond)
Kirk

I would say that nowadays the best rule of thumb is to use five-foot blades or some other similarly tall reference as your guide. We have been using that as a standard reference on tour now since June 2001, so I think it's fair to say that this is how everyone should judge distance in comparison to others.

Chuck

On the PRO Qualifying Carving runs, are those done downwind, into the wind or what? From what I have read, it appears that I have to make the entry gate (5' ?) carve 220' and clear the exit gate without touching down on 5 pre-declared jumps. Of course all of which can only be done after acheiving the 500 points in the advanced series. Is this correct?
Live today as tomorrow may not come

I knew that you can't go straight to PRO now. One has to acheive the 500 points first.

What I was asking was.......during the 5 predeclared qualifying PRO jumps on the carving lane....are those done down wind?

No. Absolutely not. We only run courses downwind when it changes after we set up a course. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw from pass to pass. For example, Clint threw his 340 footer with a three mile per hour down wind not two minutes after I only threw 220 with a five mph into the wind pass. Such is the nature of competition. Generally, we do NOT set courses up downwind on purpose.

Chuck

Oh I couldn't agree more with you on that. Quite honestly I have outswooped quite a few guys with x-braces with my stiletto. I just want to go with the x-brace to see what I can come up with. It is based more on my knowledge of aerodynamics with aircraft and I like the "look" of the x-brace. They just seem more rigid with less distortion. Not to mention I love the openings that the Xaos's give consistantly. It is like having a x-braced crossfire. I have pretty much decided that I am going to go with the xaos27. If Icarus could get the openings like the crossfire I would get one of those instead.

Eric rocks! That dude has his stuff together. When are you going to get him to coach you?:P JK

Will you be at Cedartown in march?

I may be in Cedartown in march as a judge or spectator, but it's an "advanced qualifier" and meet, so no, I obviously won't be competing. I was just inside Aviators trying to talk two guys into going there and competing, so we will see how it goes. That is only a six hour drive from here.

Chuck