jedeisurf

camera flying and x-braced canopies

i did it with my fx, and a couple of friends of mine use fx's. i now have vx, and it seams even better, flatter glide. and i also have a friend that uses a vx as a camera canopy. i have scene the velocity used, and the xaos's used. they all have really, really good glide. and when shooting tandems, you can pull high anyway.

later

I jump my Xaos27 78 when doing tandem videos and never have any problems with the spot or hard openings...since the XAOS opens so SWEET!!! The main thing is FLY the canopy..if the spot seems long, get on some rear risers.

Also, had a Velocity 84 that I did video with. No problems.

SWOOPER120

I currently jump a Xaos-21 108 and love it for jumping the camera. Always soft openings and the 3 times I've had line twists (2 while jumping my Bird-Man suit) it's flown straight and stable. Coming back from long spots are cake--with rear risers I can out run most other canopies on my load. I cringe when I have to jump ANY other canopy while filming.

Cheers,

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

I jump a Velocity 96 and a stilletto 107 for video.
I much prefer the Velocity for long spot's. In full flight the velocity is a lot more ground hungry, but it will outlift the stilletto by far. They both open great.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

So I sold my Xaos-21 108 and got a Xaos-27 93. I've got about 20 jumps on it and LOVE it! If you're interested in swooping further, and jump the camera (like I do), this is a great canopy for it...incredible openings, ridiculous swoops.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

How are the openings on your VX? I'm in terested in a 27 cell, but I jump a 13 lbs camera setup. Currently I jump an FX 104. I was wondering about a vx or xaos 27 94 series canopy. I really want to swoop further. Thanks for any info...

as far as swoops go, i got pretty much the same distance out of both canopies. the flight characteristics are very silimlar. like almost the same. the main differences are the riser pressure, on the vx the rears are light, and fronts heavy. on the xaos 27 the rears are heavy and fronts lighter. they both will have really great glide (better than your fx, even thought u want a smaller one). and it seams my 85 vx packs up smaller than the 78 xaos 27 that i was jumping, both brand new.

i really recomend the vx though, i'm mean, u already have a fx, why not stay with the same manufactor.

but hey, jump em both. that's the only way to find out what YOU really want. that's what i did, i jumped the velocity, xaos 27, vx, crossfire 2, and many other canopies, and i came out choosing the vx (i had a fx before).

later

:D You wouldn't be pushing for an Icarus sponsorship would ya?:ph34r::D:D;)B|

I can't wait to get my Xaos 27. I like the heavy front riser pressure of the VX in turbulence, but I have yet to see a VX that opened as nice as a Xaos. If that guy is jumping a camera set up as heavy as he is talking about, he won't care much for a VX if he ever jumps a Xaos.

Xaos openings are just out of this world, it is the only canopy I have ever seen that opens better than a crossfire.

Listo
Live today as tomorrow may not come

When your VX is due for a re-line, I would recommend sending it to PA for the X-mod. I had this done late last summer and the canopy opens as nice as the Xaos 27. Very similar flight charactreistics as I got to jump them both back to back. VX seemed to gain a little speed with the mod, better swoop and glide than before the mod and a better balance between the riser pressures. The fronts are still higher, but a little more manageable than before. One characteristic that stands out is the openings, they have that bowtie shape where the whole thing is out of the bag and kinda square in shape at about 1/3 inflation, then the end cells inflate and force the slider down. It looks like a bowtie at this stage. The center finishes inflating and it stays on heading nicely if you leave it alone........just have good body position .
alan

When your VX is due for a re-line, I would recommend sending it to PA for the X-mod. I had this done late last summer and the canopy opens as nice as the Xaos 27.

do they have to put the HMA lines one when they do this?? and also, how much was it to get done??

thanks

do they have to put the HMA lines one when they do this??

Yes, I believe so, as the non-cascaded HMA lines are a major component of the mod.

and also, how much was it to get done??

You should e-mail Chris at PA for a current and accurate price, but I think it is $458. I know that sounds very pricey but the mod consists of replacing the stabilizers with the stabilrib as on the Xaos, replacing the slider, and the re-line with HMA. HMA has been shown to last 700 to 800 jumps in the field, both here in the US and Europe. A standard Vectran re-line is $268, I think. At any rate, the added jumps between re-lines alone makes it a reasonable price. Plus, once the mod is done, additional re-lines are at the same cost as a Vectran re-line.

I am very pleased with the finished product and feel it was a good value. I know there has been some debate about the durability of HMA. All I can say is that it has been in use much longer than most people realize and on my canopy it has shown no signs of wear in over 100 jumps now.

The Xaos 27 is a great canopy and if I didn't have a daughter in college, I would have bought the one I demoed. If you have a VX and want to keep it for a long time, I think the X-mod by Precision Aerodynamics is the way to go.
alan