HookSky

Rear Risers on a Stiletto

At my DZ I have noticed that the guys jumping the Velocities hold their back risers as they plane out and then just at the end, flare with their toggles.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this technique with a Stiletto, would it work with all canopies or only the heavy loaded ultra high performance canopies ? and whether it would actually increases the swoop. (135 @ 1.6)

Mike :S

Haven't tried it on my stiletto mike but Brian Vacher does on his 107 and he says "it rocks". My own opinion is that on a canopy such as a velocity, Xaos etc you start the turn much higher and have more time to set yourself up. On one of my early attempts on my Xaos i fumbled for the risers twice before aborting and going to toggles and it was no drama!
On a stiletto i don't think you would have as much time and the whole process would be a bit rushed because you turn so much lower.
I think Milko has tried it - ask him if he's back from Florida
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

At the moment Gary I am try to be smooth with everything to keep the speed, if I do manage to get the risers in time, it seems that when to transfer back to your toggles from your risers it a quick sharp movement - or should it still be smooth ?

Mike.

I use the rear risers to plane out my Viper often. It works very well. Not as well as when I tried with a Velocity but well enough to get significant extra distance. The one downside I find is that the Viper does not have the 'pop' at the end the cross-braced canopy did - this makes timing critical. It may also be because I have not done this enough to be any type of expert.

I only have a handful of Stiletto jumps and my loading is higher. But the Viper and Stiletto are similar wings.

Webster