diveout

rear riser review (1st landings)

So I've been hearing everyone talk about this rear-risering stuff and I finally had to try it last weekend. Me-950 jumps, 300+ on my Xaos [email protected]

Did a couple of exercises up high for the past month or so and played with "tapping the rears" to start to get the feeling on final.

Lined up on the swoop pond at skydive Oregon. Wow! FFffffaaast! totally cool. I did a 180 followed by 2 270's (standard approach). It was a world of difference, partly I think because you have to be in the right place in the recovery arc for the technique to work- very smooth like.

I noticed once I actually gained enough altitude before my transition to toggles that I couldn't keep my foot in the pond. I was also struck by how little pressure it takes to get totally level with the ground (almost none). I was grasping the risers rather firmly and pulling sort of down-and-out.

Any thoughts? Do you push out,or pull down? Anybody out there with a special riser set-up for this?

i pull out, and kinda out to the side too.

sounds like you were pulling down a bit too much if you went back up (i'm sure u figured this out already;))

i haven't heard any one with a special rise set up. seems like it is more of a pain than what it would be worth.
it would be
set up
grab fron riser
pull down
let up
take hand out of riser
now grab rear riser loop
pull down, swoop
get hand out of rear riser loop
flare with toggles

seems like that one little extra step would just add up to not really being worth it. isn't it easy enough just to grab the risers and pull down??

later

I too am interested to know exactly what most swoopers do with rear risers and why.

I am accustomed to using Vet Wrap blocks on my risers for CRW, so I added small sections of vet wrap to the rear risers for my Xaos. I haven't enough practice yet to use them near the ground, but these blocks make for something easy to grab & it seems to be useful to me so far.

Some jumpers seem to not hold their rear risers but instead just push out on them. I've tried this up high but I don't have a very good feel for it. Any comments on this method?

Some good advice I have received about rear riser use near the ground: intentionally stall it with the rear risers up high many times so you can feel the characteristics of the stall. Practice stalling it during full flight and during a dive. I watched one PPPB swooper stall his canopy with the rear risers near the ground during a dive... luckily the water was there to cushion him a little bit, but he bounced off and had some major bruises from the impact. Ouch!

Chris

I watched one PPPB swooper stall his canopy with the rear risers near the ground during a dive... luckily the water was there to cushion him a little bit, but he bounced off and had some major bruises from the impact. Ouch!

was this the guy with the pic in parachutist about the last swoop comp. he had a yellow, and black vx.

later

that thing with riser blocks, really what is that?? i have heard of them from this crw dog at my dz, but i haven't ever really seen any.

and do you really find it that hard to pull on your rear risers?? i'm just wondering because i have notice the 2 xoas jumpers looking for a way to help with the pressure, or something to get a hold of.

later

Riser blocks are a short length of webbing rolled up and stitched on to each riser.

I much prefer them to riser loops and wrap some vet wrap (sort of self-adhesive tape used on horses etc.) around them to make them nicer to grab. Never seen them used on rears though.

I grab mine, palms in, up as high as possible. I then kind of pull outward initially, then roll my shoulders forward and lay on my chest strap. This, in effect, makes it so I end up with my palms facing out with my thumbs looped around the risers. All I do to transition is roll my wrists out and "un-flip" my thumbs, thus transitioning straight to toggles.

Chuck

I grab mine, palms in, up as high as possible. I then kind of pull outward initially, then roll my shoulders forward and lay on my chest strap. This, in effect, makes it so I end up with my palms facing out with my thumbs looped around the risers. All I do to transition is roll my wrists out and "un-flip" my thumbs, thus transitioning straight to toggles.

Chuck

Do you start with palms inside risers facing out with thumbs down? I can't figure this out (too stupid) :D Thanks.
Rich M

I watched one PPPB swooper stall his canopy with the rear risers near the ground during a dive... luckily the water was there to cushion him a little bit, but he bounced off and had some major bruises from the impact. Ouch!

was this the guy with the pic in parachutist about the last swoop comp. he had a yellow, and black vx.

later

No this was about a year & half ago at Perris

Chris

that thing with riser blocks, really what is that?? i have heard of them from this crw dog at my dz, but i haven't ever really seen any.

and do you really find it that hard to pull on your rear risers?? i'm just wondering because i have notice the 2 xoas jumpers looking for a way to help with the pressure, or something to get a hold of.

later

Like Bob said, blocks are just pieces of folded up webbing, same width as the riser... folded up into a block shape & then sewn onto the riser. Then wrap some Vet Wrap over this block and it provides a lump on your riser to reach up and grab. The Vet Wrap gives it a thick texture for good grip.

Rear risers on my Xaos do not require so much pressure, but I feel like my hands are just slipping down the riser when I'm trying to pull on them, which is why I went & attached the blocks. The possible downside to blocks in a freefall rig: they add a little bulk to risers and may not fit so neatly into your rig. Mine seem to fit ok but it's personal pref.

Chris