Parrot

Canopy Control

Hello all,
Does someone know where i can find something to read about canopy control (not swooping) ? I´m a novice jumper and i like to learn more about canopy control, especially after reading the incidents-forum. Like what happens with me & my canopy when i apply half-break with wind in my back, or wind in my face etc. Or maybe one or all off u can give me some good tips due to your own experience?
Hope to hear from you all,
Rob. :)

Heh, thats funny .

The most important thing is to make a difference between airspeed and groundspeed.
When you let the canopy fly (toggles completely up) your airspeed will be constant.
When flying downwind you will now have a higher speed than if you were flying upwind.

applying half brakes will change your canopies AoA (angle of attack), making the canopy get a lower airspeed, and a slower sink rate.

Putting 2 and 2 together, when applying half brakes this will result in (in relation to distance travelled on the ground):
-when upwind: the slower airspeed will give you an even slower groundspeed, so although you will have a slower descent , you will loose more altitude over the same distance on the ground than when you are flying on full speed.
-when downwind, you will reduce your airspeed but also your rate of descent, you will still have a high groundspeed so you will travel more distance on the ground.

Note: For this theory, I assumed positive winds, if there's only very light winds, it kinda depends on what kind of canopy you are flying, but I think this isn't a bad explanation to start with, please feel free to correct or to add info, I didn't attend University for this!

If you're up to it, maybe I'll see you at Midden Zeeland this weekend Parrot, will be there friday and saturday, I still owe some cash over there.
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

Check out Performance Designs website in their Libary John LeBlanc has wrote a nice listing of all sorts of Canopy control articals. Also BigAir SportZ has their flight manual on thier website that is a MUST READ. The Aussies have a nice book out there toothats worth a read from their national organizations website.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The next available class dates for Team Extreme's Evolution Canopy Flight School will be:

Class dates: Nov 27-30, 2002
Dec 5-8, 2002
Dec 19-21, 2002

These classes will include complete instruction for intermediate and advanced canopy flight training. For more information or scheduling please contact: [email protected]