Poczynek

Any Swoopers Kenya Bound?

Hi All,
Heading for Kenya (Beach boogie) on October 24th - was hopeful that I could link up with some experienced swoopers that may also be going to work out a few kinks in my approach / landing technique - anyone else on the forum heading that way?
Thanks
phat, dumb & happy

What's up?
I was there last year. I was the only one swooping hard. What d'ya want to know?...

-Prevailing wind is off the water so you will be landing cross wind 90% of the time.
-Prioritise your jumps to the early morning and late afternoon loads. The wind is low and the tide is out. The benefits are that there is a shallow reef running along the beach about 40-50yrds out from the water at low tide. You can see it from the air. When the tide is out the water shore side is completely unaffected by the tide therefore you have the perfect swoop channel coz it's flat like glass.

- When the tides in the beach is very narrow - around
8-10ft. Be sensible, Look for other traffic because there tends to be a lot of lower experience jumpers there who are trippin' just trying to land on that narrow strip of sand! They won't be looking out for you...
-(Depending on your level) - I was dropping in hard downwind off the water and then carving to land crosswind. BE CAREFUL as locals don't understand and won't move!! You are solely responsible for eveything you do!!

- Let me know what you're jumping and what level you're at. I was jumping a VX79 loaded at 2.4.

"If you truly love something - let it go. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it."B|

-- When you flirt with death, you run the risk that death has something more serious in mind. --

Hi SwoopMenace,
Thanks for the info, winds, surf & locals. I am beginner/novice in Swooping - working on no more then 90 degree turn (rear rises) then transfering to front risers - toggles for a final. Just down-sized to a Hornet 170, loaded at 1.3. From your info sounds like the approach will be tricky - I will play it conservative, and hopefully some more experienced swoopers will be there this year, that I can perform a Vulcan mind meld on. Once again, thanks for the info - I'm already working on the visualization aspect thanks to your input.
David
phat, dumb & happy

David, OK, learn some swooping - but also make lots of skydives. Try to outdo my total the year I was at the Kanya boogie - 54 in the week. Plus I had time out for diving, sailing and relaxing. The trick is to use the local kenyan military packers - they're great and cheap by european/US standards. If you go on a sunset dhow sailing trip, watch out for the sundowner coctails ....

Blue Skies, fergs

Hi Tallies,
Thanks for the heads-up, a little bird-man also told me that Claudio was enroute to Kenya. I'll be looking for him.
How was the trip to Moscow? very interested in hearing about that one, and jeeeez if we ever get another plane in Um-Al Quwain maybe we can get off the ground again - planning on a December 5 UAE boogie for 3 to 5 days, as you are already probably aware of. Look forward to seeing you there and sharing our Kenya beer-stories.
Thanks - David
phat, dumb & happy

Hi skreamer,
I attended the boogie during the first week, the incident happened during the second. However, according to a friend who was there a a jumper collided with a small child as he was attempting to land on the beach. (locals on the beach during jumps was a common obstacle - this especially became became a hazard during high tide, with the LZ shrinking to a postage stamp) The child 4 or 5 years old) was struck in the head, by the jumpers knee I believe as he tried to manuever around him, the child later died. The jumper was just making a strait in approach - no swooping involved as I understand it.
David
phat, dumb & happy