drenaline

Slider and long spot Q.

Happened to me today, didn't had a bad spot but was very far from the spot and when I opened my canopy, I was kinda scared of collapsing my slider cause I thought that it would made my canopy fall faster and landing on another place (not to say water). It was a no wind day and I was very far (imagine how far, everybody was tracking to the same direction).
What do you think of it? Did it made a difference or it would of been the same to collapse the slider? Any other advices for flying from a long spot? jumping spectre at a 1.15 wingload.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Collapse the slider. Get small....pick up your legs.....bring your arms down and in as much as possible. If you are going with the wind leave your brakes stowed. Going upwind, Unstow them. Loosen your chest strap to let your risers spread out. At 1000 feet pick a spot to land. Don't screw yourself trying to make it back.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

>Going upwind, Unstow them.
Actually with some canopies, you are better off to go to half brakes if you are going either upwind or down wind. It all depends on the canopy. John LeBlanc was telling me a story about how he figured out that going to brakes let him glide further in certian winds. You need to learn what works best wityh your canopy and your flying skills.
Drop the tube...DROP the tube...

Actually with some canopies, you are better off to go to half brakes if you are going either upwind or down wind

Hmmm...I always figured that going into the wind you wanted as much speed/penetration as you could get. *shrug*

This varies from canopy to canopy.

Yeah...I guess you would get to a point on a pocket rocket where penetration wasn't an issue and you have room to allow more glide. Sorry, my thinking is still in the "sensible" canopy size range. ;)

On my canopy loaded at 1.25:1 I can go further hanging in brakes or on the rear risers as long as the winds are less then about 12 mph. Its all canopy design. Some do better in full flight, others in brakes, yet others on rear risers.
Drop the tube...DROP the tube...

Thanks everybody for the great inputs.
kallend I read that other thread but it didn't talked about collapsing or not collapsing the slider. My first subject was only about the slider but I took the advantage of a new thread to ask again about the long spot. (bandwith saver :)"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Another thing you can do as well as collapsing the slider (which you definitely want to do) is to lower the slider all the way down the risers (if you can get it over the links). Then when you loosen your chest strap you'll get a better glide. If you can't get the slider all the way down the risers then it won't do you much good to loosen the chest strap IMO since the slider will likely be the limiting factor on how far apart the risers are.
Also, when making it back from a long, upwind spot, in addition to leaving the brakes stowed I push the rear risers apart. This makes a very noticeable difference in flattening out the glide on my canopy. Your results may vary.
-Trey

Everytime I collapse my slider I take all the way down, I can't stand that flaping noise and last sunday remembered why. I thought that the loosen the chest strap was only for HP. Every day you learn something new :)"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline