SHARKY

XAOS OPENINGS

I have been searching this site to see if anyone else is having rough openings on the xaos 21and if not if there are any packing hints anyone can give.
I have only done 15 jumps on my new canopy and love it when it is open but I have had three spinning openings up to now and had to get off jump 13 on it.I had a cmera on one of the bad openings and in slow motion you can see the right hand side of the canopy is totally collapsed during the opening sequence.
I previously put nearly 700 jumps on a stilleto 107 without any deployment problems. As I say I love this baby once it is flying but could do without the scary openings, any advice?

Sharky,
Let me see if I can describe the openings you're experiencing... you toss the pilot chute and (for an instant, you think pilot chute in tow, you feel nothing) then as you check, wham, and she's off to the races... Is that it?
The only strange (anything other than Beautiful!) openings during the entire development of the Xaos, to present are openings like I described above. I also had an opening or two like that on the Nitron... then I made the connection... the little tiny HMA line. What you are experiencing is more than likely line dump. You need to double wrap your stows (even if you're using the small rubber bands).
Tighten up your stows and I'll bet that will solve it.
Let me know, feel free to call if you'd like.
Chris
Precision Aerodynamics
423-949-4688
[email protected]

I love the openings.
I have about 100 jumps on them. I have spun them up about 5 times though. I did it like three or 4 times,when I first jumped them. All subterminal. Than the other day, I did it again. Subterminal.
That may not help you, but it is my experience. It always flew straight when spun, and came it quick, if not immediately.
Chris, what is your take on double stowing? I have had one bag lock. That was triple stowed on one of the locking stows. Since then I set my bag up so I don't even have to double stow. But do you think it is a big deal?
thx. j

My 98 spun up once when I think I didn't leave enough excess in the pack tray, which I think caused the d-bag to come out assymetrically as it caught on the corners of the reserve pack tray. Amazingly, the thing did not depart on me and I was able to kick out even after I kicked the wrong way for two turns while it was opening (so much for being proactive!). Otherwise, I've mostly gotten clean openings...
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

Double stow the lines, HMA is really skinny. Also make sure that the point in the breakline where the separate lines from the tail attach to the single line lower portion form a little bit of a knot like nub (bad description I know) is between stows and not on the outside portion or loop portion of the stow. With a double wraped stow the extra mass at that point, if it has to come through the tight stow could catch slightly and cause a 1/2 twist or so.
Scott C.

Is there any preference between tube stows and mini rubber bands, I must admit I have a mixture, I have tube stows on the bag lock and RB's for the stows although I have not being doubling up on either.
I was also a little concerned about how much loose line to leave stowed in the tray because as you know this stuff knots up real easily. I used to leave plenty with my previous canopy but i am worried about creating pressure knots on this.On the plus side i have put 5 jumps on it today [which isn't bad for England] without any problems. Are there any recomendations about putting any rolls in the tail or pushing the nose back.I am currently not putting any in as i want the nose to catch the air quickly.

My opinion is this.
I have heard the tube stows won't break. That is bad if you are in a situation where you want them to break. I also don't mix the kind of rubber bands too much. I will use blue and normal, but I don't like black. They don't break very well either.
As far as packing it. If you leave, say, less than a foot of loose line, when the lines take up and start pulling the first stow loose, it will likely still be deeply in your burble. That can cause it to spin, due to the lack of stabilizing air. If the lines are a little longer, when it takes up tension on your first stow, it allready has some stabilizing air, to keep it from spinning. So, is it ALL about body position? Try giving yourself 3 inches of free line before your first stow, Then toss that puppy out, perfect body postion or not. You will probably be going for a spinning ride.
As far as packing it. I don't roll, push or anything. I just flake it out, seperate and check my lines, leave the cells hanging and wrap it up. Pro-pack.
Great openings everytime, well, I have never (yet) been spanked.

Poster: Lindsey
Subject: Re: XAOS OPENINGS
....didn't leave enough excess.....right.....3 words....POOR BODY POSITION! The sooner you get out of denial, the safer you'll be....Hee HEEE.....(tongue firmly planted in cheek)....
I don't believe that for a minute. My body position is poor on all my deployments... :)
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

Both my Xaos' open great. I use AR superbands. Single stowed. They're slightly smaller than regular rubber bands, they keep their elasticity longer, and yes they do break. I had one break on deployment just this weekend.
Jason