ltdiver

Sabre2 Openings

Does anyone here fly a Sabre2?
I demoed one this weekend (135 loaded at 1.3:1) and experienced 4 very different openings and immediate flying reactions.
From end cells not wanting to open, to a spinning/diving mal, to the canopy wanting to dive to the left at a very steep angle of attack.
Lines were checked and the steering lines were found to be ok, but a bit short (no slack in them at full flight, but not pulling on the tail). The rest of the lines seemed to be equal comparing left to right sides.
Canopy was sent to a rigger to be checked (and have the brake lines replaced). Just thought I'd get some more information from other Sabre2 pilots out there. What kind of openings (and at what wing loading) are others out there experiencing?
ltdiver

I only got 2 jumps on a 135 and they were interesting.... First one was like a Spectre, only faster.and it was a tad harder then I remember my old Spectre being. Second one was WAY faster and actually hurt a little. It opened really fast and dove to the right. The weather turned sour and I had to return the demo after those jumps. I liked how it flew, but did'nt like the riser pressure compaired to my current canopy. (Too heavy) I don't know if it was my packing a new canopy or what, but it did'nt open like advertised. The lines on the Demo still had the markings on them for sewing so they were newish. I'd like to put a few more jumps on another 135 before I make a decision on it.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

PhreeZone,
Yeah, the riser pressure was higher than my Spectre-135 as well. But, once in full flight and straightened out, the Sabre2 flew great! Landings were awesome.
What wing loading were you giving the Sabre2 you demoed?
It's interesting that the openings you experienced were different than expected as well. Thanks for the feedback.
I wrote John LeBlanc and am waiting for his reply as well.
ltdiver

I demoed a Saber 2 170 loaded at about 1.35 (it was around Christmas time and weight is never precisce that time of year) and noticed the same thing. I had some really nice openings but I also had a really screwy opeing. Someone on the ground described it to me since I could not see the canopy as my head was pinned to my chest and the canopy was diving/spining. It recovered pretty easily though. I liked the canopy otherwise and would be interested to hear what you find out about this unusual opening.

>I demoed one this weekend (135 loaded at 1.3:1) . . .
We probably demoed the same canopy. I put three jumps on it, and the openings were all pretty consistent - soft and on-heading. I did notice the outer lines were about 4" out of trim.
-bill von