rgoper

When Should The Thought Of Swooping.....

Absolutely, Bob could/should try gentle front riser carves on his Triathlon and work his way up.
As for trying full blown hooks, I would say no, not on the Tri. It is true that a longer recovery arc would makes this safer, and the Tri ought to roll out too quick. The best safty Bob could have, however, in doing a full blown hook is LOTS AND LOTS OF EXPERIENCE - and I mean more than a few hundred jumps. Bob should know ALL the inns and outs of his parachute if he is going to bet that it recovers at the exact altitude he wants (ground level!) after a hook turn. Insurance may not be a bad idea either.
By the way, the Bob I know hooks a Velocity 90.

>Seriously though, there is no right answer and boob will probably buy the smallest canopy that anyone tells him is ok.
Maybe, but the best you can do is give good advice and hope they listen. Most people do, even if they don't seem to.
-bill von

Full Blown Hook?
Don't do them anyway, the pro's don't. You all know a slow carve is better for building speed. There is a place for a quick snap hook, but that isn't what swooping is about. It is more of a move to get you out of trouble. But still dangerous in any context. So good 'ol Bob can just tear it up learning to surf his Tri, with progressive carving riser turns.

I think you're out of your depth

I think you meant out of my element.
Maybe I am, but discussion is what this forum is about.
I just disagree with you. I believe if a person is interested in learning to swoop, he should learn as much as possible. The sooner the better. Waiting until he has 5 or 600 jumps and a wingloading of 1.7 to learn the dynamics of what is going on seems wrong.
And as far as snap hooking, you earlier said that you believe a carve is safer on a larger canopy. I DO agree with you when you say a snap hook on a ligher wingloading is more dangerous than on a heavier loaded canopy, for the reasons you mentioned. I just don't think a snap hook is that great of a manuever anyway. Looks impressive, gets your heart in your throat, but takes away the safety margin of a slower turn.
You also mentioned the jury is out on whether or not a snap hook or carving front riser will build more speed. I disagree. I think the jury has made up it's mind.
That is my grain of salt. Carry on.
j

I agree that someone interested in high peformance canopys (or anyone for that matter) should start learning immeidately, but wait to get into more aggressive flight maneuvers until they have the right tool for the job. A piper cub is a great aircraft to learn basic abilities, but practicing serious acrobatics wouldn't be safe.
As for a carving turn being safer, I disagree, but my reasons apply more to me than most people. Here's why: I can overfly my swoop lane on my downwind. I don't lose sight of my swoop lane or have to head switch. I can get deeper into the front risers and hold them longer for a longer/faster dive. If I am a little low, I don't hang on the doubles as long, but I still swoop where I intended to, in a carving turn, if you have to "dish out" you are not on the heading you intended to be. That can be fixed to a point w/ a carve in the swoop, but you still take up more lateral airspace. I use a very narrow sliver of airspace in my hooks
I have carved my VX and snap hook it regularly. I go faster w/ an aggressive front riser turn than a carve. A police officer friend of mine brought his laser gun out to the DZ when I had 10 jumps on the VX. He clocked me at 93 mph in the dive and 78 mph in the swoop. I am sure I am not going slower by snapping the hook.
Hook