Zennie

Current & Former Jedei Owners

You may or may not have seen my post in the Talkback section, but I just purchased a used Jedei 136 (loaded right around 1.4).
I'd like to hear what y'all thought (think) about the canopy and get a few flying tips based on your experiences with it.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

In the beginning it took a few jumps to adjust to the increased speed.Just when you thought the canopy would not fly forward anymore you still had speed to burn off before your final flare to land.After a few jumps you quickly get used to the fact that the "Jedei" wants to "Fly".A good reliable,consistent packing method(Pro Pack)with a few simple modifications should be developed by you over time.Some like the nose slightly rolled "Inward"(outer 3 cells on each side rolled to middle cell) to slow the opening a bit.The first "Jedei,s" were prone to open on the brisk side to say the least,until the packing process was refined.(yours may be already "broken in" and may not need any packing variations.Ask around your DZ for someone for sure has jumped the "Jedei" before and can help you with some packing tips.ENJOY!

You will find that there are different Jedeis. He changed the design as he went. I have even seen two Jedeis of the same size made in the same month that are made differently. So what works for one might not work for the other.
William

I have even seen two Jedeis of the same size made in the same month that are made differently

Fortunately I have a line set only about 100 jumps old on the canopy. But this sort of begs the question... how would I get good information regarding line trim and other maintenence issues?
Does Brian have good records such that I could send him a serial number & he could send me (and/or my rigger) the proper specs?
I'd kind of be interested to find out where my canopy sits in the evolution of the design... partly for academic reasons and partly for gaining a better understanding of my canopy's flight characteristics.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

mine opens pretty slowly, the previous owner had a pocketed slider put on it. I use a normal propack, no rolling anything. openings are similar in nature to a spectre even. lots of glide, lots of flare. mine's loaded pretty similar to yours, and i agree, the thing wants to fly. there's a feeling of being slightly "behind" the canopy in full flight.
i love it. =c)
Stacy
http://users.snip.net/~stacy

I have flown my Jedei at wing loadings of 1.25 to almost 1.5 (weights) and have noticed that the openings are not hard at all. I just pull the slider out and leave the nose be. I have also packed myself line twists (not on purpose of coarse) and noticed that the canopy never lost heading after opening. I was able to get untwisted and go on. The canopy has a great glide ratio. Landings are very nice because of the airlocks. Now, the front riser pressure is heavier than on a stilletto but you will get used to that very quickly. The canopy has a longer glide and is also very stable on the bottom end. This is always good when the air is not very smooth on landing. You will need to fly the canopy all the way through the landing if you are loading it higher. Also as someone already mentioned you will have to get used to bleeding ALL the speed out of it before shutting it down. I learned the harder way by stabbing the brakes and getting sent 10 feet back up into the air. Just a bruised elbow, so I was thankful. So anyhow, I am not going to yap anymore. Have fun, it is a great canopy and be careful while learning.

I have flown a Jedei 136 several times (loaded 1.55) and my inexperienced opinion on them dont look at the opening!..... it tended to snivel and then crack open....... my first openning caused a very badly jarred neck.......... but then when learnt that lesson found it a beautiful canopy to fly............ Enjoy.................... (my mate wont sell me his!!)..........
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"