RevJim

Main Lift Web

Just a simple question or two for the riggers here.
1. How do I accurately measure the main lift web of the rig I own? It is a small rig, and while looking for another used container, it would be nice to know my measurements for comparison.

2. In direct relation to the above question, how/where would I measure my body to reveal my optimum main lift web size?

Any help would be great!
Blues!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

1) Measure from the bottom of the base ring to the top of the leg-strap harness junction. Put moderate tension on the MLW when you measure it to keep it straight.

2) Pick the rig type you want to find used (e.g., Javelin). Fill out the measurements section on the order form and fax it to them letting them know you want to find out what size yoke (see 3 below), MLW, and lateral would best fit you.

3) The other harness fit factors are the yoke (from base ring to base ring around the back of your neck), and the lateral (the short piece that comes out of the bottom of the rig and intersects with the leg strap & MLW). A rig with the right size MLW and the wrong size yoke will not fit right at all. Also, a rig with the perfect yoke & MLW, with laterals the wrong size will affect comfort and where the rig rides on your back.

4) Sun Path codes their sizes like this:

J-4K = MAIN & RESERVE CONTAINER SIZES
(MINE HOLDS A PD176R & SABRE2 190)

C-19 = YOKE SIZE (C) & THE MLW LENGTH (19)
(I AM 6'2" TALL & 220 WITH A LARGE FRAME)

Note that a "ring" or "articulated" harness on a Javelin will require a different length MLW. For example, I take a C-18 in a standard Javelin Harness, and a C-19 ring harness.

Other manufacturers code their harness/containers differently.

5) Buying used gear? Beware of those ads that say "Large" or "Made for 5'11" and fits me perfect!" Both are just to give a general idea of what size the harness is . . . "perfect" is subjective. Some folks like a really loose harness, others a bit more snug.

If it's a Javelin you're after (I'm a fan, can you tell? :P) Call Rick at Sun Path for the fit info. He's great!

Lastly, I can tell you that nothing beats a custom built rig, measurements taken by someone who knows what they're doing (like the folks at Sky Kat **PLUG**). I have an Odyssey that is the most comfortable rig I have ever had on my back.

Hope this helps, or at least lulled you to sleep! :D

Arrive Safely

John

Thanks, that helps quite a bit!

I know exactly what you mean about beware used gear sizes. I would be a prime example of that problem. I'm almost 6 feet tall, yet smaller womens rigs have fit me the best, with the exception of a tight yoke. I have a short torso, long legs, fairly wide shoulders, and only weigh about 150#. A rig that "fits a 6 foot person perfectly" would be extrememly big on me. (I know, I have eaten a chest strap or 2).

I just didn't know the proper methods for measuring the rigs. My present rig is too small, but I jump it anyway. After the harvest moon boogie, the main is going to PD for an overhaul, reserve will be due for a repack....what better time to look for a new container to put the stuff in?

Oh, and I prefer Mirage.... ;)

It's your life, live it!

OK, maybe I'm just dense today, but I'm still unsure of the measurement point. I got the tape in this picture started at the base of the ring/top of the webbing, but I'm unsure which point on the legstrap attachment to use. 12"? 14"? 16"?

My rigger did say it was tight, and another inch or 2 would make it perfect. Just making sure I get it right!

It's your life, live it!

rigmeasure.jpg

Your main lift web is 14" (average length for a waman) yours should be 16" to 17" assuming that you are 5'9" or so.
Mick.
PS: its a vector 1 or 2 right?

Yep, it's a Vector II.
OK, so it's a 14, so yep, that would make a 16 about perfect for me, even though I'm 6 feet tall. I'm all legs, and short thin torso.

Thanks!

Now, is there any general guideline for yoke size too?
It's your life, live it!