Ducky

Used Canopies

In continuation of my gear search and it's many hurdles...:S

The subject of this issue is canopies.....:)
1.) How fast should I turn and run when I see an ad for a conpy that has been patched or "needs a small patch"

2.) Anyone have further info/opinions that I have not already read in the reviews section on a TurboZ canopy. I'm looking at a 145 to be loaded at 1.1/1

Again all help is appreciated!

Kwak

Patches are fine.. most canopies after a few hundred jumps start to develop wear areas and some times those areas are just covered over. It depends on the damage but if its just small rips that are patched its not that big of a deal. Major damage going across seams or cells are something that a rigger needs to look at.

Just dock the price a bit from market price if a canopy is patched...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you are going to load it over 1:1 then stay with ZP material. If you go with F-111, it can't have too many jumps on it before its worthless to you and even less in resale. A modern ZP canopy can have a thousand jumps on it, be on its third set of lines and still fetch two thirds of its original purchase price depending on its condition and what is preferred in your region of the world, PD or PDF or etc. So look locally at ads in your region get a feel for what things are going for there.
I'm a big believer in good used gear. But if the gear is in good condition that line between new or used is blurred.
Sometimes a used canopy me be so sought after that you may not be able to find a decent one in your size range at certain times of your skydiving season and will have to buy new. Other times there are plenty people downsizing or getting out that you'll have many options.
If you get something respectable it will last you for a very long time or untill you decide to try something different or downsize. Then it will get you some good resale or trade in value.For this reason
I would try to get a modern design canopy, something like a spectre over a design that was around ten years ago. As far as patches or repairs go have a good rigger look it over and ask them what they think its worth. And ask to jump anything before you decide. good luck