L600DAN

Skydiver Intercommunication

Another thing that was brought to my attention is security on the frequency. I don't really know how this works on a cb radio for example but you'd get some local moron start tuning in on the channel and telling the student commands which they shouldn't be doing. Needless to say that would be bad :|

So much dirt diving has turned into Otter diving at around 6K going up, I can just see the evolution of laziness;

Red Light, Green Light,
Jumper 1: "Ready, Set, Out......so what do you guys wanna do?"
Jumper 2: "I dunno, let's track"
Jumper 3: "Man, I just tracked on the last dive"
Jumper 1: "OK, let's make Jumper 2 the base and build a round."
Jumper 2: "Oh come on guys, why do I always have to be the base?? Let's build a horny gorilla!"
Jumper 1: "Oh yeah, like that's never been done before"
Jumper 3: "We're getting close to break off, so what do you guys wanna do on the next dive?"
Jumper 2: "I'm taking a lunch break, anybody want $5 to pack my chute when we get down?"
Jumper 1: "Yeah, then I have to get home. I spent this weekend's jump money on this really cool freefall radio, so I can't afford to jump till next payday."

Moral of story, toys lose coolness factor fast, and as a tool I could see some FF coaches or canopy schools getting them, but that's not a big market.

Don't feel bad, keep trying. There's still plenty of great ideas to be added to skydiving, that just might not be one of them.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

>Who hasn't tried yelling what to do to a teammate with a brainlock

Well yeah, things like "NO! not there! WHAT are you doing?? No you STUPID $/&#¤"...:D Or to myself (aloud) "FUCK! NO! GODDAMNIT!" or just the plain old pissed-off "AAAARRGGGHHH" after funneling a formation...

I don't think I would like to hear what my team-mates have to say...;)

Erno

When we used CB for student canopy control we had someone giving false directions. Went to Motorola radios with assigned frequency and pager receivers that fit in the helmet. One way ground to air communication but we don't want them talking back.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When we used CB for student canopy control we had someone giving false directions. Went to Motorola radios with assigned frequency and pager receivers that fit in the helmet. One way ground to air communication but we don't want them talking back.;)

At the old Flagler Aviation, we had the Motorolas -- there was another user who had the same frequency, but we only heard them when the instructors weren't transmitting. The closer transmitter would overpower the more distant user.

But I will never forget the strange feeling I had when I did my first jump there: AFF Level 2 , jump goes ok, pull on time, the roar of freefall stops as the canopy blossoms above me, and I hear, crisp,clear and plain as day:
"Welcome to McDonald's. May I take your order please?":o

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

my dz uses 2-way motorolas for a studewnts first 5 or 6 jumps, but they try to wean you off them as quick as possible. one advantage to using a 2-way as opposed to a 1-way system is that if a student lands off, they can use the radio to let the dz know if they are okay.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If one were serious about doing this, I think it would be wise to consider spread spectrum technology in the 960 MHz or 1.2 GHz frequency range. We are using this for remote control technology to make it less susceptible to interference (among other reasons).

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

"Welcome to McDonald's. May I take your order please?":o

OH MY GOD! {uncontrollable laughter} That is too damned funny!!! ;)B|

I had a problem on my first AFF levels. There were multiple AFF jumps going on and the jumpmasters confused students. I'm doing my instructions, like my instructior is telling me... and at 700 feet I hear "FLARE!" So, I flare.

After the flare, I hear "Good landing! I'll see you back inside!" :o:o:o

Needless to say, I had to figure everything out on the landing VERY quickly! :P

I tried out a walkie taklie a while back.It was a Radio Shack product and it had an ear piece but no mic. Instead, your voice which passes through your jaw-bone to your ear (hence, how you hear your voice sounds different to how everyone else hears it) was picked up by some dohicky in the ear-piece and transmitted. Sounds hokey but works well and should get around the problem of wind noise.
Having said that I don't want anything to distract me from the beauty of the sky and the magic of freefall so I won't ever use one.

The control tower of the airport I did most of my flight training at (in Massachusetts) uses the same frequency as Montreal Approach. Get up a couple thousand feet over the airport and ya start hearing french. I was SO confused the first time I heard that.

Dave