sdctlc

Sabre2 Brake Lines

There has been a number of posts on the openings of the Sabre2. I looked at a New Sabre2 the other day the the stiffners seem to add a small bit of rigidity to help open the nose during the opening sequence. They really are not stiff though but it seems like it might help get the air into the canopy during opening. How it would detur a dive one way or the other in the final stages of opening I am not sure.
But on to my question!! I looked at the factory marks on the brak lines and at that setting it seems to be inducing a good deflection in the tail of the canopy. Have people noticed this and if so have they legenthened the line. Looks like a good 4 inches would be needed to get a little bit of slack in the brake line during full flight to help on front riser turns. If anybody has noticed this how much did you end up letting it out and was there a big difference in the full flight characteristics. Just curious :)
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Let me re-phrase what I noticed. The tail was pulled down a bit and it looked that 4 inches would do two things, one would be to take that deflection out of the mix in full flight and two give a little slack in the break lines so when pulling on the front riser your not pulling the tail right away as well. The tail is not deflected 4".
Just asking to see if this is the standard setup, a little downward tail deflection. I have seen that before and have legenthened it out for no tail deflection in full flight on other canopies.

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott, I understood, My canopy is set up with the toggles at the marks, my tail is not deflected at all and in fact I think I could set the toggles 2 or 3 inches up before the tail would be deflected. I just find it interesting that there be 4 or so inches difference between our canopies.

the best thing to do is contact the manufacture and ask them what the lenght of the brake lines is supposed to be . it could be that your canopy was miss marked and the inspector didnt catch it.

"Trust your Rigger with your Life , but not your Beer or your Wife !"

the best thing to do is contact the manufacture and ask them what the lenght of the brake lines is supposed to be . it could be that your canopy was miss marked and the inspector didnt catch it.

Why do people think that a canopy has an exact spot where the brakes should be? The factory certainly attempts to mark the brakes at a spot that should work for everyone, however this does not take into account different size risers, different arm lengths, different flying styles, different experience levels, etc....

There is no 'magic' spot where the brakes should be set, it is I believe, a matter of preference.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

OK, after jumping the canopy the factory settings seemed to be very good but I ended up settling on about +1 inch after jumping it at +3 for a few jumps and then a few more at +2. +3 was just too much. The factory sets would have probably been fine but I ended up liking the +1 or so a little better. Gave a little extra play with toggles before any input was noted but still gave a great flare.

I must say it is a very nice canopy to fly!! Nice openings, faster flying than the old Sabre. Performance really ended up between the Stiletto class of canopy and the Sabre class. Toggle turns and front riser turns were smooth, even with a hard pull on either type gave a smooth turn. Strong flare and a fun little swoop with not much effort. Much better swoop on a 180+ front riser turn. Light front riser pressure and good recovery arch. The canopy doesn’t just flatten out when you let up on the front riser but also did not give the impression that it loves to continue diving like some of the crossbraced canopies. It was comfortable. Obviously not going to a swooping competition with a Sabre2 but I would say good fun to fly from opening to landing...

Above is just my $0.02. BTW, I was loading it at the 1.6 suggested as max by PD.

Scott :)

yes i know the marks are an estimated length , but his canopy could have been miss marked ! for example : his 150 sabre2 could have been marked for the lenght of a 120 sabre2. alot of people that make canopies , dont skydive , are not riggers, and probably dont know what that mark is for.

"Trust your Rigger with your Life , but not your Beer or your Wife !"

And that's exactly why jumpers should know that the marks are a suggestion and not gospel. I've come across too many people who just don't get that.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Good points were made. I just asked the question in the begining to see what others have found. I dont think I have jumped a canopy exactly at the factory marks for any legenth of time with out tweaking it a little to what I wanted. That is just me though. I was just looking for a starting point when hooking up and inspecting the canopy on the ground because the setting seemed off. I basically wanted to see what other people had found.
I do appreciate the feedback and agree that people should know a little more about canopies in general, that was the basic jist of some of the responses, was it not?? People should ask if they have questions or want to learn more about a canopy.
In the end will I keep the +1 inch from factory settings, maybe but I need to play with the canopy more. This Sabre2 is a nice canopy, mine is a 135 by the way, and it will be fun to find what it can do. After the small number of jumps I did put on it this is what I found (in addition to what I described in a previous post): a brake setting I like a little better for now, some limitations compared to elipticals but I expected that, and that it is a fun canopy....

Scott

I transitioned to a SabreII after being on rental gear from anything from a Sabre 200+ to trying out a friend's Sabre 170. I've also done the rig-parade.. from new Oddseys to a mega-old Centarus. I selected this canopy since I was getting a very good J1 Javelin, I wanted something I knew I could fly and still fit in the pack tray.

Noticed a BIG performance improvement in the Sabre2 with its light-elliptical shape, loading it at 1.1. I can definately notice the landing point on the groud where the canopy is flying to and my test jumps on this canopy have been very good. Love the speed and glide on the flare. I think I will be jumping this canopy for quite a long time. I love it!

I'm a Sabre2 fan also. I think it's a great canopy for beginners and advance canopy flyers as well. And don't knock the swooping abilities of the Sabre2... One guy entered the Pond Swooping Nationals at the Ranch last year with his Sabre2 demo. His swoops were definitely above average! I was impressed.

Trent
Oh, hello again!