jayjay

Opens the Manta harder than other canopies?(OUTCH)

Hi, here are Jayjay from Swizerland.
At last week i jumped AFF level 1 at my home dropzone.
After the opening my back hurts very strongly. Outch!!!!!!!
Today my back hurts strongly to and i think, this came from the opening of the parachute (280 sqft Manta)(my weight= 241 lbs).
My question to the experienced jumpers & riggers are now: opens every parachute like an "Manta", or opens the Manta a little bit harder than other canopies?
And what can i do to protect my back for the next time, i jumped with the Manta in the AFF course?
thanks 4 answer and greetings to all
yours JayJay
PS:Sorry for my very bad english *gg*.

Mantas tend to open on the hard side. Just ask the packer to pack the canopy to open as softly as possible. Once you get your own gear you can get a slower opening canopy if you want to.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Hi,
During AFF I got routinely smacked by my Manta, I believe it was F-111. The packer really had to roll the nose on that thing for me.
Also, if you are jumping student gear, you have to consider that it might be improperly adjusted which contributes to the situation.
Also, as students we sometimes arch pretty hard and have a ver fast descent, this also factors into the equation.
Still shedding whuffo-ness
Check out the Hardcore Whuffo pages

Hi,
i made about 60 jumps with Manta. I found it a very good student canopy which opens, flies, lands safely and comfortable. It was perfect for students even if it is an old tech and the mad of F111. Only few linetwists were annoying, but it is normal if you pull immediately after exit.
The opening of the Manta in my opinion strongly depends on the pack job. We used to pack on the ground and we were told to roll the nose and place the slider on the front side. If you propack the Manta this last means that you pull the slider out fully (similar if you want a Sabre to open slower). The speed of the opening depends also the size of the pilot chute and also on the speed of the freefall. Pull in relaxed body position.
blue skies,
z

When I was jumping mantas, I always had bruises around the inside of the legs due to it always opening hard and poor comfort pads on the kit. The only nice openeing I've had on one was when it was pro-packed. I'm pleased I have my own kit now !!
When I grow up, I want to be a post whore

Hi Jayjay,
I can sympathise. My back isn't the best either - lack of exercise combined with skiing probably (Do not try a jump, no matter how small, on your 4th time ever on the slopes! If I hadn't been a skydiver and automatically kept my feet and knees together I would have broken a leg).
I remember my first freefall jump very well - 7 seconds of freefall, throw pilot chute, Smack!
I went to the physio who recommended I do some yoga style back exercises like cat stretch, curl ups and abdominal strengthening exercises. This helped a whole lot. More dropzones should do morning exercises before jumping.
Also, whoever is packing your rig to roll the nose. It does help a lot. And if he gives you grief, remember _you_ are jumping it not _him_. Find someone else to pack it. I'm really really tired to being told not to roll the nose from people who are routinely slammed by their canopies and blame it on the canopy. Sheesh..

Every jump that I made on a Manta spanked me unmercifully!!Even went to a larger slider and it still left bruises. I'd never jump one again on purpose!
G. Jones
"Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it."