MrHixxx

reserve soft loops

I would like to hear some opinions on the following...
If a manufacturer will not build a soft loop reserve handle for a rig, can one be built by another manufacturer or master rigger? Does it invalidate the TSO? Do the circumstances change any if the rig owner is a senior or master rigger?
thanks, Jon
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

The reserve ripcord (including handle) is part of the TSO'd section of the rig. Putting a different handle on it will count as an alteration; alterations require master riggers. Alterations to TSO'd components (including the ripcord) further require authorization. This authorization could come from the manufacturer(the one who built the rig, not a different one) or the FAA.
I'm guessing it won't happen, but maybe it will. In any case, it will require showing that the new handle meets TSO requirements.

Regardless of the niceties of the alteration legality, it should be pull tested to 600 lbs if it has a RSL. In my rigging history (20 years) ripcords are one of the TSO components that can be mixed and matched. Years ago several companies other than the manufacturers offered custom, made to order, replacement ripcords. Some of the older orphaned rigs didn't have factory replacements available. I seem to remember Strong used to make ripcords to order, I think ParaGear used to offer them but they may have had someone else make them. Obviously back then we thought that you could get the RC from someone else. But I would expect it to have an approved quality control and testing plan. Action air used to (and may still) offer a ripcord tester, but it relyed on the pin and end ball swage to put pressure on the RC.
Terry

According to Advisory Circular 105-2c, Part 11 on page 186 of the 2001 Skydiver's Information Manual:
"A. The assembly or mating of approved parachute components from different manufacturers may be made by a certificated appropriately rated parachute rigger or parachute loft in accordance with the parachute manufacturer's instructions and without further authorization by the manufacturer or the FAA.
B. Assembled parachute components must be compatible. Each component of the resulting assembly must function properly and may not interfere with the operation of other components."

If the rig is manufactured under TSO c23d the ripcord will have to c23d markings on it in order to be legal. If the rig was built under c23b then any approved handle built to the same specifications can be substituted. Having said that, an approved manufacturer will still have to make the handle for you as drawings will need to be on file with the local MIDO. Best advice is to check with the manufacturer.
Mick Cottle.

Poster: skydiverek
Subject: Re: reserve soft loops
What would be an advantage of having soft loop reserve (and cutaway) handle?
Bart

I prefer the loop over a pillow for leverage, since I jump highly loaded ellipticals and my hands are a little numb from tendonitis. I just want to be able to hook a thumb and make it happen as opposed to the grab peel and pull thing.

On the reserve it is a profile issue over the metal handle.
-Jon
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S