sky301

Riser Length

From what point to what point do i have to measure on a riser to figure out the length I have? When unhooked from the container do I measure from the end of material from the rapid link to the edge of material on the largest three ring? i understand the smallest riser sunpath makes ( this is in regards to a javelin NJ) (unless special order, i'm assuming) is 20", does someone make an 18" riser that's compatible to a Javelin. or what is the best way to measure the desired length for a specific person?
When we do get a shorter set, will I have to shorten steering lines? What can i expect if anything on canopy performance or flight characteristic changes. But really all we want to be able to do is easily reach the slider.
If anyone is wondering the reason for the desired shorter riser, it is for someone 4'9", i also use the rig as my second :-) I'm 5'9" so I would like to find something that suits as both currently neither of us can reach the slider, I can but I have to climb up to reach it regardless any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike C.

I'll give you my experience, but I'm no expert.
I measure riser length from one end (where the 2nd largest ring of the 3-ring assembly is attached) to the other end (where the connector link goes). It was my understanding that the industry standard was 21". I have always preferred 19". I can reach the slider easily with this length.
Using shorter risers places you closer to the canopy. This has the effect of lowering the control range, ie, the brakes will feel deeper in the toggle stroke. You will probably find that you need to flare deeper. The stall point may be so low in the control range that you can't reach it. Shortening the steering lines can help negate this effect. My suggestion is jump the new risers and see how the brakes feel. If you want the control range higher, you can shorten the steering lines. Shorten in small steps.
I don't know much about Sunpath risers, but my guess is they have a short one. Ask them how to measure the riser length, and then how short of a riser they can make for you.

Be aware that you don't want the risers so short that they might come out of the side riser covers. I've seen several pictures, video, and even seen live, risers coming out of the covers pulling some of the line stows out. All on one side with the rig still closed. I prefer the links to be at least just in the main pack tray. But, that does make it hard to reach the slider on some rigs. Be aware that if you shorten the steering lines to get a full flare, you may be pulling down on the trailing edge and putting the canopy into partial breaks.