Frikndivn

Stock vs custom

Who has the best stock list of containers available. I was looking at the manufacturers web site and found that Mirage is giving an extra 10% discount. Does any one else give an extra discount for stock?
Has any one ever got a stock container or does most people order custom. I was first thinking about ordering a custom container but there are some nice looking containers on the web sites.
How good is the fit usually? I don't want to spend money on a container that isn't comfortable.

I ordered my first new, custom container in 1982. That was the last custom container I bought until 1997. In between I bought 3 stock new containers. It just didn't matter, I wanted manly black (common stock), the fit was ok if not perfect, and I didn't want to wait 8, 10, 12, 24 weeks. Get someone to help you with both container and harness sizing that has a lot of experience with different rigs. Your selection really is limited not to what looks nice, but to what fits you, your intended canopies for your experience level and then what is acceptable in terms of options and color. If you don't mind waiting, order up what you want. But the hardest part of ordering a new container is figuring out the colors ;). This might add 4 weeks.
Terry

>How good is the fit usually?
Depends more on you than on the rig. If you're an average size (i.e. a 5'10" guy, 180 lbs) you'll probably fit stock pretty well. If you're a 5'3" 100 lb woman, or a 6'4" 190 lb guy, you are probably not going to be happy with anyone's stock rig.
-bill von

Another option for a "stock" container is the Vector 3. Relative Workshop has a good selection of stock containers with unfinished harnesses - you choose the color pattern you like from what's available in the container size you need and send in your measurements, they'll finish the harness to fit your body and get it out to you within two weeks. Faster than custom, pretty much guarantees a comfortable, good fitting harness and you can put some options on them too. Check out what's available at their website -http://www.relativeworkshop.com
pull & flare,
lisa
"But our reality is in fact entire illusion!"
-Gregory Benford

I went to Relative Workshop and bought a stock rig. I was having problems finding a rig to fit me, but I finally had success with a Vector 3 because of the unfinished harness that they have. And, sure enough I got it in 2 weeks!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Skymama,
Does relative workshop offer an additional discount for the stock rig. I think Mirage was giving an additional discount. I could be mistaken.
Why doesn't the other manufacturer carry any stock? Does any of the dealers? Para-Gear and Square 1 didn't have that big of a selection.

Para-Gear and Square 1 didn't have that big of a selection.

There's a reason for that. Look at how much a container costs - multiply that by however many containers and you're talking a large investment in stock since dealers have to pay for their stock gear as it arrives.
pull & flare,
lisa
"But our reality is in fact entire illusion!"
-Gregory Benford

I can not speak for other manufacturers but Mirage Systems build 90% custom containers. We only build stock when there is slack in production. There is a demand for immediate delivery but it is small. Especially since we have such short delivery times.
You should contact your authorized DEALER. You have a lot of questions and they are the most experienced at answering them. We do have an additional discount to the dealers discount but we may not have anything that will fit you or your canopies.