totalwreck

New vs. used for first rig

OK, so here's one more newbie trying to parasitize the collective knowledge of the skydiving community ...
I am very much looking forward to purchasing my first rig, but am somewhat perplexed by the tradeoffs in terms of buying new vs. used. As I see it, there are three options for buying a rig:
1. Buy a complete new rig. Pros: will have a rig (especially container) built to your needs; appeal and perceived security of having new equipment during the early jumps of a skydiving career. Cons: cost; wait time; may need to downsize relatively soon.
2. Buy a complete used rig. Pros: cost; wait time. Cons: jumping a rig built for someone else's body; chance of buying lower than expected quality equipment.
3. Mix new and used components. Specifically, I am asking about the strategy of buying a new container, reserve, and AAD, but purchasing a used main to be used for 100+ jumps or so and then replaced with a smaller main. The pros and cons here seem to be a potential tradeoff between those listed for options 1 and 2 above. In particular, you would have a container built for you, a reserve of your choosing (i.e., I like the strategy of having a big reserve: even though I'm 175 out the door, I would like to have a 200+ reserve), a new AAD, all components that could be used with a smaller (i.e., from a 190 to a 170) main when the time comes to downsize.
More relevant data: I jump in the midwest, have about 25 jumps, plan on jumping about 100 times a year, and (ideally) want to spend less than $3500 now and not have to spend another big chunk in one or two years. (I would also like world peace and free beer.)
Thanks for your input. Ignore as necessary.

Its really all about what you can afford, I would suggest trying to buy cheaper brand new equipment such as the hornet main and Vortex 2 container, both made in South Africa.
Ive just bought a full system made in South Africa and the quality is superb, dont let the price put you off. The only reason its cheaper is because of the foreign exchange rate.
The nice thing about new is, its flashy, it fits and its not someone elses hand me down.
Cheers
Dale
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.
- Zadok Rabinwitz

If you buy used gear and think that it does not properly fit you just send it to the manufacturer with your measurements and they can adjust it for a fair amount. This is if the adjustments needed are minor. If I recall correctly Sunpath (Javelin Containers) will do it for about $90 and takes about 1-2 weeks. All you have to do is check with the manufacturer of your choice.

I bought 2nd hand to start with. Found something that was my size and slod it of when I bought new for almost what i paid for it. Think of doing the same and put your money into jumping. The Vortex is a very good option but then you will be waiting again.

My experience has been that the used gear market is pretty strong. I have had good luck with it. My recommendation is to start with used gear...it's cheaper (generally) and it is very likely you will want to downsize in the somewhat-near future. In addition, after you have accumulated a few hundred jumps, you will have a much better idea of exactly what type of gear you want (do you want stainless hardware? Rings on your harness? Collapsible PC? Spectra or Dacron Suspension lines? Soft or hard reserve ripcord handle?) so you will be less likely to plunk down hard earned cash on equipment you won't want after a short period.
Your 3rd option also seems reasonable...just keep in mind that you can only safely downsize 1 or *maybe* 2 sizes with a given container.
Whichever route, you should be able to get quality equipment for a reasonable price. Get the riggers and instructuors you jump with to help you make a decision.

Both work. Most people are happier buying used gear first, because there's almost no question that you will want new gear within 2 years. I would recommend starting with used everything. Make sure you have a relatively modern ZP or partial ZP canopy, a harness that fits you (try it on _with_ canopies in it) a reserve with <30 jumps/repacks on it, and a cypres that has at least 3-4 years left in it.
Other advantages of old gear:
-It's been tested. Not too much of a problem any more, but still nice to know.
-Old ZP is much easier to pack than new ZP.
-Cypreses are a lot cheaper since they get prorated for life now.
-bill von

Rigs & Things Para Service - www.para-service.com - has a package called "The Affordable Rig" that includes a new Dolphin, Tempo and Hornet for $2,195. I upgraded to a Wings container, and my complete system was within your budget. I think I'll be able to enjoy this equipment for a long time. For a cheap used cypres, contact [email protected]. He has one with just a few years left on it. They are priced according to the life left in them, and he wants exactly what the value calculator on the airtec website says it is worth. Getting one with only three or so seasons left will let you keep your initial cash outlay down. If you are out of the sport in three years, at least you have not prepaid for nine more years of use from your AAD.

I just did something exactly like your 3rd option.
I ordered a new javelin, pd reserve, and a cypres, then picked up a used sabre 190 that has just under 100 jumps on it. The container was pretty loaded (i.e. rings, pinstripes, kill line pc, etc.). But, even with all the options, and the pd reserve ( as opposed to a tempo which is cheaper) the total cost was about $4200. Not too far off from your price limit.
So if you went with the tempo reserve and maybe a wings i think you could make your 3rd option work.
You are right on with the downsides though. I have been waiting 5 weeks so far and the container isn't supposed to be in for another 3. But I've been sidelined with surgery over the winter anyways so i wouldn't have been jumping anyways.
Anyways, I guess the point of my reply is to say that you can make your 3rd option work. Talk to your rigger though. Mine helped me alot in terms of choosing the gear that is write for me, and also got me a great deal on alot of the gear. Or, maybe they have a used rig waiting for you!

I did the third option myself. New container\harness\reserve
Used main Cypress.
Someone mentioned Buying the vortex II Only problem I have with that is when you go
to sell it would anyone want it.
It maybe a very good rig but I never heard of it and If I were looking for a rig I probably
wouldn't buy something I never heard of or seen anyone wearing.
Just My .02

Well.... like many other questions, it comes down to opinions and $$. I was on a real thin budget and went the used route. I put togather a rig (vector,pd main/swift reserve) for under $1000. After jumping 3 different canopies in almost 4 years, I have new gear. The container I have purchased will be great for me until it wears out, because I can't forsee jumping a canopy so small that it would not be wise to pack it in this container. Besides that, I have gained so much knowledge in the 4 years, I have found out a lot about equipment and my personal likes and dislikes (if you find some new friends at your DZ ,they may let you demo their personal gear if its within your skill level) and I feel I've made some smart decisions about what I have purchased. It worked really well for me!!
Jump safe
Kent