Cornholio

Snowboarding Helmet anyone ?

I just bought a helmet - a snowboard helmet. I bought it for two reasons actually - I need it for snowboarding (duh) , and I plan on using it for skydiving as well. Is there any problems using a snowboard/ski helmet for skydiving ? It has adequate padding, is ASTM certified (not Snell.)
I could't beat the price. Tri-City (the worlds largest sporting good store - ) is having their 50% off sale. I got it for 70 bucks !!
Here's the one I have. It's the Myto Air.
Anyone else out there that wears a snowboard/ski helmet ?
It fits like a glove and I have no problems wearing it. Will I stand out at the DZ if I wear it? hehe

The only things that helmuts are good for is holding your audibles and protecing you form minor headbutts , elbows , kicks , and the occasional PLF be even then nothing is a guarenty...... as for it being ASTM Cert.......that really doesnt matter...I dont know of any helmut used for jumping that is "certified" some one correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah if it doesnt have any snag points go ahead and try it. Theres a girl at my DZ that jumps with a ski helmut. The only problem you may have is finding a place to put the audible!!! Someone else want to chime in on this one??
jason

Thanks for the feedback, Jason
It appears that there is room on the side to strap a dytter or time-out. There appears to be a little room inside, but maybe I can work something out. Let me look at it again.... That's about the only bad thing I can think about it. It looks sharp!! It's lightweight.

Couple of friends of mine jump with Boeri snowboarding helmets. The use the Boeri Axis though, but i don't think that's much of a difference. They have bought two sizes too small helmets and then scraped off half of the styrox filling inside the helmet, cause it's really thick. When talking about audibles, they have had no problems in cutting place for the audible to the helmat liner.

Gath actually produces snowboard helmets too. They have 2 versions, one with retractable visor and one with a fixed half-visor version. The design of the helmet is exactly the same as the Gath freefly helmet, 'cept with the visor. I've got a visor version which I'm using for wakeboarding. Maybe one of this days I'll try it out in the air.
Check out the helmets at: http://www.gathsports.com/products.shtml

I've been jumping the exact same Boeri helmet for about a year. I stripped off the plastic vents on the forehead and removed the goggle strap from the back so everything is nice and smooth. I just got a Dytter, but haven't mounted it yet. I plan on hollowing out a little of the padding to make a spot for it.

That makes me feel a bit better. I looked at it last night and it would be possible to mount something either on the outside or carve out a piece of styro on the inside and mount it there.
The only problem I see with it is in the summer time. Afterall it is a winter snowboarding helmet. Do you think it will get a bit warm in there ? Then again, there is a 30 degree difference when you're up that high, so maybe it won't be so bad.
Guess I'll just have to jump it a few times and let you guys know. I searched back and back in this forum for info on helmets and could not find a thread similar to this one.
- Matt

The only place the helmet has been too warm for me was in the plane on a hot day waiting for take-off. I usually slip it on as the pilot is powering up the engines for take-off then take it off at 1000-1500'. It's never been too warm in freefall or under canopy. Once I'm on the ground, I just hang it on my chest strap for the walk to the packing area.

That is good to know. I have been putting my student helmet on up to 2k, then off, on again at 10k and then off again after landing. Okay-- more questions...
Why did you strip off the airvents on the front ? Do they get in the way or make too much noise (wind resistance ) ? Is it better to leave them closed or open ?
One think I did notice, though, was the 2 airvents on the back top. Would those become a problem, since they are just plastic grommets that can be pulled out ?
The nylon strap w/snap on the back - is that really a problem ? I still plan to use mine for snowboarding and would like to leave it on if possible.
- Matt

I forgot about the vents in the back...I popped those grommets out too. I did it to reduce the chance of a line getting snagged during an unstable deployment. On mine, the front vents stuck out far enough to catch a micro line. I removed the goggle strap because I knew I wouldn't use it and its one less thing to get snagged on the plane. Lots of frap hats have similar straps though. The best thing to do would be to have your instructor or S&TA take a look at it.