Bushmasta

Wings Container

Maki,

Ignore the sarcasm from 1000 jump wonders. It's a fair question.

You know how on a main parachute the pilot chute and deployment bag are connected to the top of the main? For most reserve systems, the pilot chute and "free-bag" are not connected to the reserve (just held in there by the locking stows - in a similar way that your main deployment bag stays closed when you put the rubber bands through the grommets). The reason that it's designed this way is so that if your reserve pilot chute becomes entangled with something it still has the possibility to cleanly deploy the reserve without inducing a horseshoe malfunction. The downside is that the freebag and reserve pilot chute are free and typical land somewhere distance from your main in the event of a cutaway (if you have a Skyhook on your rig, they often stay connected).

A horse-shoe malfunction is when the pilot chute stays connected with you or your gear, but the parachute itself is deployed or partially deployed. It's one of the worst malfunctions to have because even if you cutaway (if it's with your main), the pilot chute or bridle might not release and might not be able to cleanly deploy your reserve.

If you get the opportunity - perhaps take a bit of time with a rigger and watch them open up a reserve before they repack it - it'll help you understand the system.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Just got my new Wings in the mail... 50% off coupon made it a no brainer! I looked it over very carefully. It's very well made! I couldn't be happier. I'll get back to you in a few years to let you know what I really think.....
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Make sure the pin flap passes through the sleeve under the pin cover flap before the reserve container is closed. If it does not, the pin cover flap will open every time the main is deployed. I've seen this happen a couple of times here in Brazil with reserve packers that are not familiar with the Wings.
Enjoy your rig!

Edited to correct information underlined. The packers in this case were not FAA riggers.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted