hisgoofyness

Containers.... Hmm ??

First off I am a student both in life (27 years) and skydiving (infant)...
I am in the market to buy a rig, but have no idea what one to get, and if to buy new or used...
I have seen quite a few Mirage, and Javelin set ups around my area; but... from what I have read I like the idea of the racer or the wings system
if any of you can help it would be appreciated
hisgoofyness
its a bird, its a plane, no wait, its one goofy s.o.b.

For your first rig I would go with whatever you find. Get something that is safe. Which is just about any "modern" rig. I got a cherry of a deal on a Dolphin. Got a complete rig for $1000 bucks. A PD 190 with less than 100 jumps, Dolphin D-2 container, and Swift 5 cell reserve. That was at jump number 48 and I'm on 114 and just now starting to look at new main canopies. I did replace the Swift reserve with a PD at the first repack. Just shop around. I know there is a couple rigs for sale at Skydive Atl. Just look for the price range for now. You'll form opinions on the equipment you like as you get some more jumps.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

I've decided on a Wings container. Everything I've read about them is positive...there were a few old spring loaded PC's that were a little weak...but all other riggers I've spoken w/ said they work fine. I'm in the process of getting my 1st rig. I decided to buy a new Wings & used main/reserve & a used cypress. www.para-service.com has the wings container @ 30% off this month...I'm getting the container w/ an articulated harness for $930 (or $840 w/out the hip rings)...for something that's new, safe, up-to-date, custom made, and freefly friendly...can't beat that price w/ only a 4-5 wk wait (now)! I got a used Hornet & I'm looking for tempo-170 reserve. Make sure to talk to others around your DZ & ask your instructors/JM's.
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

Only buy a Racer after talking with your local riggers. Some riggers have problems packing them; make sure the ones around you aren't like that before you buy. Also, Racers have a two pin reserve closure so you'll have to buy the more expensive two pin Cypres. That said, I loved the Racer SST and Racer Elite that I used to jump; comfortable and very well made and engineered.
Today I love my Infinity container. Comfortable harness (on the ground anyway; mine gets its first jump on Saturday :)here.
pull and flare,
lisa

If I were you I would buy something that is common at your dropzone.
Because it will be easier for you get advice about your gear and it will be easier, to sell your gear later on.
Initially I 50 jumps on a friends Javelin until I bought my Mirage. I would recommend either one.

Do you plan on doing any freeflying? If not, just about any rig in reasonable shape will do for a first container.
If you plan to freefly, however, you will need to be a little more selective. You'll want something with good bridle & riser coverage and the less velcro the better -- so Javelin, Wings, Mirage, Vector will be a good bet.
I personally like Vectors, but YMMV. ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."